Skip to main content

Four Thieves Vinegar

 

I got 2 quart jars of 4 Thieves Vinegar made.  It is good for a year with proper storage, but needs to "brew" for 3-4 weeks.  I use Rosemary Gladstar's recipe.  For those who do not know what it is, you infuse it, drain it, and store it.   It's taken when you start to feel ill.  It doesn't taste that great, but it does work.  In the past, I have also made Fire Cider.

The weather will dip to the low 30's tonight.  Brrr!  I am not really ready for this.  Although it is nice to know the bugs will be gone.

I made beef stroganoff in the crock pot last night, only because I needed to use up the sour cream, but my husband was delighted.  The cost of everything is so expensive, I just can't afford to let anything go bad.

My yarn was piling up on the kitchen table, making hair clips for the salon. I literally filled a large reusable grocery bag, and put it all back where it belongs.  All, except a few colors of worsted weight yarn.  I am making a few more ear warmer headbands.  Daughter E is joining up with a co-worker to put up a tent and table to promote the salon soon.  They are putting together a basket to raffle, and I am donating a headband for the basket.

My husband told me he almost brought home 3 pumpkins for the porch that light up, and some orange string lights.  He knows I have no intention of fall decorations and have already put up the Christmas lights.  We got a good laugh, considering all the work we are trying to get done.  I told him, once the house is all in order, I will do a nice display outside for fall next year.  We may even have our own corn stalks to use.  It's just not happening here this year.

The winter check list is getting looked at.  I have oil for the oil lamps, and extra wicking.  We need to split more wood, and I have enough straw for the chickens.  I am also doing a re-check on seeds I saved and a plan for next years garden.  I really want to add more too it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart