Skip to main content

This and That

 It's been a bit rough at our homestead.  My husband has not been sleeping well.  The plant is shut down, and calls keep coming in.  Thank you for all your prayers for these two young men.  If I remember correctly, one brother was 32 and the other 34.  Both had children, both married, and the wife to the younger brother is pregnant and due in May of next year.  Now I am not sleeping well either, as my husband will be working there until retirement.


It's been raining, and more rain, wind and cold weather today.  We joked about me going out to work in the garden, but both retracted quickly when I reminded him of my boots getting stuck in the mud.  Putting the garden to bed has once again been halted.


Not enough jalapenos for cowboy candy and not enough of a mix of the other hot peppers for jelly.  Hm.  I know I will freeze some and some will be included in the menu this week.


Comments

Debi said…
How very sad for those families. I understand why you and your husband are not sleeping well. I will keep you and those families in my prayers.
Debi, thank you! They started a Gofundme for a trust fund for the kids. I hope the company itself makes the trust fund happen themselves too.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart