Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, August 11, 2022

Loofah Seeds ~ Life of a Loofah Plant

 



The to-do list(s) are staying continuous, and in doing so, I found a small flower pot with loofah seeds that some how ended up at my house (from Mom's house).  They are from my Aunt J, from Florida.  I know many (many) years ago, Mom gave me some, and I could not get them to grow here.

I decided to humor myself, and put some seeds in a bag with a wet paper towel, to see if any were even good.  I put them in the bag June 27th (although late in our growing season), and on July 12th, I noticed one sprouted.  I planted it out where it would get a good amount of heat and sunshine, and marked it with glady posts (and to give it something to climb). 

July 19, 2022 (very late to plant in our zone, but I did)


July 21, 2022

July 22, 2022 (new leaf)

 
July 24, 2022


July 26, 2022


August 4, 2022 (very hot and humid, just got rain)



August 10th, 2022.  It's now about 2 feet tall.   Just ignore those weeds.  It's not getting pulled until the garden dries out.
 These plants can grow up to 30 feet.  Anyway, our humidity and hot weather just changed to being nice, so I don't know that I'll get a loofah on it.  I guess we shall see what happens over the next 6-8 weeks.  I'm going to put a much larger trellis behind it.  These plants need something to climb, and it's outgrowing the smaller trellis.  I can also run lines from the trellis to the fence behind it.  Time will tell if I get any loofah's, but what a fun experience so far.





2 comments:

Jackie said...

How much fun is that. I hope you get a couple of loofahs at least.

God bless.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Jackie, I hope to get at least one loofah.