Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Monday, August 1, 2022

Happy Homemaker Monday

Daughter K came over to do more cleaning upstairs.  She had intentions of bringing me 3 dozen hears of corn from a community garden near her.  Twenty minutes into her drive, she realized she forgot them.  Sigh.

We have horse flies bad this year.  I have no idea why either.  No goats, no horses, nothing but chickens here.  Best we figure, is that there is a dead animal in the woods.  Urgh.  Every time I kill one, another shows up and drives me off the porch.

I was very glad to have Daughter K over, even for a few hours.  I got to thinking, and I think I have felt depressed because Mom's birthday is coming up.  Either way, I am was glad to have company.  My husband had to work Sunday as well.


  • Today I am joining Sandra at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom.

The weather . . .

85/65°F, thunderstorms.


As I look outside my window  . . .

Dark clouds are moving in.


Right now I am . . .

Getting ready to wash dishes and purge some cigar boxes that Daughter K left.  I'll be donating the boxes to a friend who has an antique store in a small town about 30 minutes from out home.


Thinking and pondering . . . 

The prices of yarn have gotten so ridiculously high.  My online resource now has cotton balls at $3.49!!!  I used to get them at Wal-mart for $1.50!  Wal-mart hasn't had anything I need lately either.

I'm considering starting to prime the master bath cupboards, but I think I want to paint the walls first.  Not sure.  I still have to clean up the debris left by mainly one kid upstairs.


How I am feeling . . . 

Good.  Pretty good actually.


On the breakfast plate . . .

Eggs, toast and coffee.


On the dinner plate . . .

I actually made the chicken fajitas last night, so leftovers tonight.


What I am wearing . . .

T-shirt, yoga pants - looking forward to a rainy day inside.


On the reading pile . . .

Mom's recipe books.  She kept a lot of recipes.  I'm looking for notes on the recipes she tried and found delicious.  I may be trying a few, adjusting them with organic/home grown ingredients.



On my TV this week . . . 

We just finished watching Alone.  I had a hard time finding good movies, but now that my husband is done with long, exhausting hours at work, we can spend evening out on the motorcycle hopefully.



On the menu . . .

-Black bean cakes with mango salsa, yellow squash patties
-tacos, homemade salsa
-chicken fajitas
-crockpot bbq pork chops, beets
-something grilled, grilled onion for a side

Looking around the house . . . 
Well, handyman came to finish installing the shower, and the bathroom door is now back on where it belongs.  

To do list . . .
(for the week)
-can pickles
-can grape jelly
-can applesauce
-freeze corn
-purge living room, bedroom and upstairs
-buy paint for master bath
-finish weeding flower beds
-clean out fridge
-crochet new item for holiday craft show
-take a trip to donate more stuff that the kids left


From the camera . . .
Daughter K brought her boyfriend with her Sunday, so I gave them Mom's tea spoons.  They will be a nice addition to their black/white themed kitchen.

We finally got my husband's Father's Day gift (from Daughter K) put up on the porch.


Prayers . . .
Daughter K's dog King has had 4 seizures in one month.  Prayers for him.  He may be going to the vet.  He gets a natural calming oil every morning, but he is getting worse and it makes me sad.  He never had them until they moved to an apartment way back in the day.  Poor Kingsley.

Prayers for those dealing with flooding and lost lives in Jackson, KY.


4 comments:

Jodi said...

Yarn prices are insane! I picked up a couple of skeins the other day and didn't realize how much they had gone up... sheesh! And of course it was on sale (so much for a sale price!) so couldn't use the coupon...grrrr Have a great week!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Jodi, I noticed last year's "reg" prices are this year's sale prices. It's horrible this year. Sigh...

Sandra said...

I haven't bought yarn in a while, it's ridiculously priced and like you say, Walmart hasn't had what I want in a while either. They used to have quite a good yarn section, now it's slim pickins.

Have a wonderful week,
Sandra
xoxo

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sandra you are so right. I used to try and visit stores even on day trips and overnight trips, just to see if their selection was better. Nope. Hardly any yarn at all.