Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Strawberry season is here!

 

Strawberry season snuck up on me.  Canning season officially started yesterday.  I'll be even busier the next few days.  I was so no ready for this either.  I used my jam maker yesterday and got a small batch of reduced sugar jam made.

I had a horrible time finding the pectin I use for the jam maker.  I also had to go to 3 stores to locate liquid pectin.  Last year we couldn't find jars, or lids, and this year it's other supplies.




My new item for the island store.  I'm working on the packaging.  I'm thinking about getting some white sand from the Dollar Tree and glue a bit in the bottom corner with a tiny seashell.  What are your thoughts?  Leave it as is, or add the sand and seashell?  It will go into a plastic bag with our farm store label on the backside.


10 comments:

R's Rue said...

I love strawberries. I make strawberry shortcakes with whipped cream. Regine
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Rebecca Knox said...

It's cherries here and, like you, am having a hard time finding pectin. My daughter gave me a bag of bulk pectin, but I've never used it. Have you? Would you happen to know the proportions used (juice/pectin/sugar) to turn out a good product? I like the idea of sand and seashell. Very summery and islandish! Enjoy strawberry season! <3

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Rebecca, I am looking for sweet cherries here, but none to be found yet. I'm told it's a bit early for that. I found an article online on how to use bulk pectin. Hope it helps. https://joybileefarm.com/how-to-use-bulk-pectin-to-make-jam-peach-jam/#:~:text=To%20use%20it%20you%20mix,per%208%20cups%20of%20fruit.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

R's Rue, I did make a non-bake strawberry pie for my husband. He loved it.

Debi said...

Strawberry jam is on my list of things to do next week. I have one box of pectin so have to find more. I think the sand and shell would be a sweet touch to your packaging.

Rebecca Knox said...

Thanks for the input, Kristina! I learned that there are four tablespoons of pectin in a box of Sure-Jel, so I just added four tablespoons of the bulk pectin to three-and-a-half cups of cherry juice. Let it come to a full, rolling boil, then added four cups of sugar. Let it come to a boil again and boil for one minute. Filled jars and processed in a hot water bath. The jelly came out beautifully. From now on it's going to be bulk pectin for me all the way. It's sooo much cheaper than boxed! Thanks again! Have a blessed day and I hope you find some cherries soon! <3

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Debi!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Rebecca Knox, thank you for that info. I guess I'll be looking into bulk next. I couldn't even find pickling lime in all of the area stores the other day.

Rebecca Knox said...

I'm guessing that you have Amish or Mennonite stores near you, Kristina. That's where we shop for bulk here and I'm sure they'd have your pickling lime, too, and all for a reasonable price.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Rebecca, we have a 3 hour drive to get to Amish area, and the stores that stock it are within an hour. However, the Derecho that came thru made massive destruction in their area and they have not had electricity for a few days now. Hopefully they will be back up and running by the weekend.