Skip to main content

My Flowers ~ Haymaker's Punch ~ Inflation is out of control!!






My flowers still look beautiful!

The heat returns, and I am prepared this time.   I was out and back in by 8:30am, with a heat index of 89°F.  The tomatoes look better than the day before, but still way to wet to get in there to tie up plants.

I will monitor my gardening time out in the sun, but have what's called "Nature's Gatorade."

The recipe is from the Farmer's Almanac, but also online with Mother Earth News.  

I cut the recipe down for a 1/2 gallon, and used molasses, and did not add extra brown sugar.

On the handmade home front, I am so frustrated with this inflation.  Walmart raised their cotton cone yarn from $7.99 to $12.95, and never have the colors I need.  JoAnn's raised their price to $15.99.  I went online to check Michael's and they have them on clearance, and all are out of stock.  I ended up finding one color on Amazon for $10.95, but the only option for the other colors in stock were $14.99 and that was "on sale" as they have raised their price to $16.99 for a cone of cotton yarn!!  Hobby Lobby has limited stock and I do not like Premier yarn at all.

 

Comments

Debi said…
Those flowers are beautiful. I hope you get some relief from the heat. Rising prices are crazy! I'm glad I have a "stash". It may not be the exact color I want but it will certainly keep me busy until prices come down... if they come down, that is.
Jackie said…
Inflation in both our countries is crazy. Hopefully our governments will be able to control it soon.

God bless.
Lady Locust said…
Your flowers are beautiful! And yes, inflation is nuts!
Stay cool and hydrated with that. I'd forgotten about that punch. Now I need to look it up again.
Debi, I have a stash too, but I swear I bought a cone of white cotton yarn years ago. Nope. Ugh.
Lady Locust, this is the first year to learn about Haymaker's punch.
Jackie, it is crazy. I'm glad we don't have inside pets to feed this year, but we do plan to get a dog, so I hope prices do come down.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart