Skip to main content

Hooky ~ Shortages/Businesses Closed and othe ramblings

 

We've been having beautiful weather lately.  My garden starts are loving it too.  I'm just starting to get worried about getting the tilling and planting done.

I played hooky and went to the "big city" and had lunch with my bestie from high school.  It was nice for a change, because I have been so busy in the kitchen lately.

I'm seeing more businesses closed, and I'm seeing more shortages of different items as well.   I may need to make my own ricotta.  The last few times I needed some, I had a terrible time finding it.  I filled up the truck yesterday - $4.30/gallon.  Toilet paper we typically by on sale for $7.99 was on sale for $13.99.

I tried a new recipe - Lasagna stuffed chicken.
Organic chicken is very expensive as well, but my husband loved it.  Recipe is online with The Stay at Home Chef.

Comments

Mother Em said…
Good for you in playing hooky; well deserved. Gas here is $3.89 or a little lower at the moment. Some of Kroger shelves are getting a little light - maybe stockers at this one store are a little lax. Have a great weekend.
Sharon Kwilter said…
$5+/gallon here in Oregon.
Thanks Mother Em and Sharon, we are being warned gas will go up to $4.69 and diesel will be higher than $5.00.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart