Skip to main content

Storm Update ~ Tidbits

I did the usual "storm prep" Wednesday- washed, dried and put away all the dishes, ran dishwasher, emptied dishwasher, finished any laundry etc.  We just got rain all day, but snow moved in the last two days.  In fact, Daughter K's car is buried in a snow drift this morning.  Smart husband parked out at the end of the drive and got out this morning.  I'm waiting to make sure he made it to work though.  Some roads he takes to work are impassable if not cleared.

Daughter K made an attempt to get to work yesterday.  She called and was stuck in a drift between two main roads to get there.  She ended up coming home and calling off work.  Our county Sheriff only called a road emergency level 1 at the time, later changing it to a 2, but said "he'd never call a level 3" and this is why we all tried to vote him out of his position.  He just can't do his job. There were too many accidents yesterday just during the level 1 warning.  Some businesses will never close, and people could be hurt, stranded, etc.  Anyway.....

Yesterday, we made an attempt to visit Mom in the hospital, but ended up at the Urgent care for me, then back home.  I have a sinus infection.  Roads were so bad I was the only patient, and they only person at the pharmacy.  I haven't had a sinus infection in years. I feel like I haven't  had a break of being sick since the onset of covid.  I'm wondering if the sinus infection is from covid.

Anyway, I am thankful for a tub of yogurt, kefir and other helpful foods in my fridge right now.

Wood stove is stoked, but I hear very little traffic outside.  It will take the boys and a plow to clear all the drifts in our drive.  Next year we will be putting up the snow fence.

As far as an update on Mom, she was moved to a larger hospital.  She's getting a lot of tests done.

Well, I'm going to go make a pot of coffee, and check the weather.  I do believe we are getting a break today from snow.  The wind was terrible last night.

I'm still feeling sick this morning, so it's a low and slow day today.  I may do some dishes, but there is not a chance for major housework for sure.  No wonder I've been feeling tired.




Comments

Jackie See said…
This covid healing is very strange, one day I feel pretty good and then the next I feel terrible. I hope your new medicine helps you recover and get your energy back. I am taking time to heal and enjoy some slow and calm days. The snow has slowed everyone down and that is all right by me at least for a little while. I don't think I have finished a single day (in the past 3 years) without feeling overwhelmed. I need to break that and maybe I am being granted this time just for that. ~jackie~
Jackie, it has been nice to be "snowed in" and taking days a bit slower for sure.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart