Skip to main content

Ice/Snow Storm ~ Hanging On

Our rain turned to ice, sleet and snow.  It's an ice rink out there today.  Windows are frozen over and we can't even see out them.  There is a level 1 road emergency in place today, and roads are slick, some schools closed, and many, many power outages around our area.  Thank goodness ours is on.

Daughter K has secured an apartment with her boyfriend (until they buy a house of their own).  I hope I'm not repeating myself, but my brain is over loaded with emotions right now.  She's been filling up her car with items to donate before the big move.

We are literally hanging on emotion-wise.  Hospice is taking good care of Mom.  I have been up to sit with her almost daily, and all of us are overwhelmed with a roller coaster of emotions.

Most nights we don't even eat dinner.  I still haven't made dinner, but tonight I will use every last energy zap I have to make something.  I was reminded to take care of ourselves, and eat properly, take breaks, take vitamins, drink kefir (or eat yogurt), and hang on to our health right now.

I was once told that giving can keep your mind at peace, so I have printed a few patterns and wrote a few notes on what I can be giving as a random act of kindness.

On a side note, I discovered one of the employees that works in the nursing home salon, is a friend from high school.  Yesterday I met someone that has worked there for 29 years, and will be there 30 years this coming April.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart