Skip to main content

Sunday Chit-Chat

I got my plant start trays ordered yesterday, and they should arrive today.   

It's still freezing cold here.  No change in the weather just yet.

Dinner was a 2-crock pot meal last night.  Turkey in one with a paprika rub (homemade), and sweet potatoes in another with garden garlic, thyme, red pepper flakes and salt and pepper.  It was all I could muster up at the time, but well accepted.

The flooded utility room is mopped up, and with heat, pipes thawed and repaired (he's still mad he didn't listen to me and wrap the pipes last summer). 

In between getting around and moving/cleaning/etc. I have been resting by watching Cook's Country.  There is nothing like motivation to get you to think up an easy meal.

Using the sled, I brought my plant stand inside for seed planting.  It's way to heavy to carry in by myself.  I think I may order one more heat/grow light, but we'll see I guess.  

My husband hurt his back trying to start the wood splitter.  He spent the afternoon with a heating pad on his back.  No wood was split.  We only have enough for about an hour.  He's too humble to ask the boys for help either.  He'll try again this morning, but with my help (between coughing spasms).  He thinks the sub zero temperature has to do with the temperament of the splitter.

I keep hearing of a bad storm moving thru our area next Wed./Thursday.  Not sure if we'll get what they are calling for, but for what we are seeing, possible in the rain belt of it.  I still haven't located the other two shovels, so it better not be a foot of snow.

Today is the big day for the football game.  My husband is super excited and hopeful for the Bengals.  They are making history this year for sure either way this turns out.


Comments

Faith said…
ps.yes, one of the teams from this state is going to the superbowl...how about them Browns? not again, I wonder if maybe they will ever? It puts no coin in my purse whether they do or not, but would make other folks happy. We cannot find chicken in our area, frozen food chicken, shelves are empty. Go figure. You think people would take some time to learn to prepare food for themselves, they are not thinking about the the long haul.
Faith, if anyone learned anything from covid alone, is to keep things stocked up (especially with rising prices and supply issues). Shelves are empty here in almost all stores.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart