Skip to main content

Sprained Ankle and boring stuff

Our wood stove door got dropped off, but not by me.  I had Daughter K drop it off for me.  I had something that was irritating my eye, and didn't feel up to that long drive.  Door is there, but the glass cutter was not.  Not sure when it'll be done.  My husband brought me home eye drops and my eye feels a bit better today.

On the sprained ankle.  I can't recall anything I was doing that would cause it,  other than I tripped on Daughter K's boots in the hallway this week.  I am guessing because I walked on it, fetching fire wood, tending the hens, etc.  I made it irritated, because I was not icing it, or wrapping it for 2 days.

Go figure, I have zero comfrey poultices in my freezer, but I do have comfrey salve.  The ice pack will be used for now.  Thankfully, I have a cane to get around, but foot will be up most of this day (sigh).  

Does anyone know if I can make a poultice using dried comfrey and comfrey root?  I think I have both, but in dried form.

I do have to take dogs out, tend hens, get mail etc.  I'll just have to grin and bear it, while muttering under my breath.

I had to laugh yesterday evening.  I put turkey in the crockpot and planned on home canned beets for an easy dinner.  I was in bed watching the cooking channel doing some handiwork (with feet up).  He was really enjoying it.  I went to fetch clothes from the washer to put on drying racks, and he said "Look they are making turkey quesadillas.  Let's make those."

He literally went to the kitchen and made them for us.  They were very good.  We used pepper jack cheese.  Delicious.

I think I have my husband hooked on the cooking channel when he gets home from work.  I better be careful though.  Spring will be here in no time, and we'll be back to the garden in the evenings.  Meanwhile, we'll  just enjoy watching it.  We love Farmer and the Foodie.

On a sad note, I received an email that a old classmate of mine, passed away yesterday.  Her daughter found her at her desk with headphones on.  She was experiencing upset stomach, and couldn't eat for the two days prior to this, and did not seek medical help.  Such sad news to all of us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart