Skip to main content

Tuesday Tidbits

Breakfast for the next few days - crock pot steel cut oats with apples, raisins, walnuts, and cinnamon. I cut the recipe in half.  I'm sort of getting used to cooking for 3 people now.

I took advantage of the beautiful weather, so I headed out to muck the coop.  Didn't happen.  This chicken herself, saw that the skunks did a lot of yard damage near the barn I get my straw from.  I was too chicken to go in the barn.  I messaged my husband (who got a chuckle out of this), and asked if he'd check out the barn tonight after work.  I know skunks generally sleep in dens during the day, but I saw one out during the day last week (up the road).  I didn't want any surprises in the barn.  Sigh.


Update on a crock pot meal I recently made.  Didn't really follow a recipe, but tried cooking bone-in chicken thighs a different way.



I sliced up some red skin potatoes and tossed them with 2 Tbsp. olive oil and 2 Tbsp. melted butter,5 cloves of minced garlic, parsley and thyme.  I put that in the bottom of the crock pot, pan seared the chicken for about 3 minutes each side and put the thighs on top of the potatoes.  I cooked it for 10 hours on low, and the chicken literally fell off the bone it was so tender.  I grated parmesan cheese and added that to the potatoes.

I, even though I told myself not to, printed off a salad recipe to try.  If I get to the store and get it made, and share if it's worthy.  It looked good anyway.

If you didn't read my post yesterday, I added photos of some ornaments and earrings I was working on for the upcoming craft show.  Meanwhile I continue to crochet dish scrubbies.  I finished a set of boot cuffs yesterday too.


Comments

Debi said…
I think I would have skipped the barn too! Your chicken dish sounds nice and hearty. I like cooking chicken in the crockpot, it always comes out tender and juicy.
Debi, I love cooking meals in a crock pot. Especially busy outdoor or indoor days.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart