Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, November 9, 2021

Tuesday Tidbits

Breakfast for the next few days - crock pot steel cut oats with apples, raisins, walnuts, and cinnamon. I cut the recipe in half.  I'm sort of getting used to cooking for 3 people now.

I took advantage of the beautiful weather, so I headed out to muck the coop.  Didn't happen.  This chicken herself, saw that the skunks did a lot of yard damage near the barn I get my straw from.  I was too chicken to go in the barn.  I messaged my husband (who got a chuckle out of this), and asked if he'd check out the barn tonight after work.  I know skunks generally sleep in dens during the day, but I saw one out during the day last week (up the road).  I didn't want any surprises in the barn.  Sigh.


Update on a crock pot meal I recently made.  Didn't really follow a recipe, but tried cooking bone-in chicken thighs a different way.



I sliced up some red skin potatoes and tossed them with 2 Tbsp. olive oil and 2 Tbsp. melted butter,5 cloves of minced garlic, parsley and thyme.  I put that in the bottom of the crock pot, pan seared the chicken for about 3 minutes each side and put the thighs on top of the potatoes.  I cooked it for 10 hours on low, and the chicken literally fell off the bone it was so tender.  I grated parmesan cheese and added that to the potatoes.

I, even though I told myself not to, printed off a salad recipe to try.  If I get to the store and get it made, and share if it's worthy.  It looked good anyway.

If you didn't read my post yesterday, I added photos of some ornaments and earrings I was working on for the upcoming craft show.  Meanwhile I continue to crochet dish scrubbies.  I finished a set of boot cuffs yesterday too.


2 comments:

Debi said...

I think I would have skipped the barn too! Your chicken dish sounds nice and hearty. I like cooking chicken in the crockpot, it always comes out tender and juicy.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Debi, I love cooking meals in a crock pot. Especially busy outdoor or indoor days.