Skip to main content

Something I Learned

 

(not my photo)  I learned something new.  We were browsing at an antique store this year, and my husband and another couple were trying to figure out what this tool was used for.  It's a board with spikes going upward. 

It was used in Colonial days to run the fibers of flax stems through.  Flax was used to make fibers of thread to create linen.  Ha! Now we know.

Comments

Lady Locust said…
Aren't they called a hatchel??? Kinda vicious looking things.
mamasmercantile said…
It is so nice to learn something new.
So interesting. I love learning new thkngs.
Lady Locust, I never looked up the name, but they are definitely scary tools ha ha!
mamasmercantile and Lisa, it is fun to learn something new.
Ulvmor said…
Right after the WW2, when my grandparents moved here, they had nothing. And I mean nothing. In the first summer my grandpa sow flax, and in autunm grandma harvested them and put them to soak in the ditch. During the winter grandpa built all tools needed, so when next spring grandma was able to process flax to linen, she had all tools she needed, and among those were those spiky ones. Grandpa also built looms, so when next winter came, they had bedsheets my grandma weaved during the summer.
I don't think I would be able to do half the things my grandparents did.
Ulvmor, I agree. Lots of work.
JustGail said…
If I saw them in the store, I'd known they were for fiber work of some kind but the first thing to come to mind would have been using them as a first round of preparing wool. I hate to think of how many times I'd poke myself before getting the hang of using them.
Just Gail, it's a scary looking tool for sure ha ha!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart