Skip to main content

Snake and other random tidbits

 

I was weeding the mailbox flower bed and this guy scared the crap out of me.  I literally almost grabbed it thinking it was a stick.  I told my husband he has to weed it for me now. I literally did a back roll when I noticed it.  I'm sure anyone driving by got a laugh out of it.

The barn birds have been busy making nests in the barns.  They will be taken down soon.  They are bombing me on the front porch now.  Sheesh.

We bought a mole chasing windmill when we visited Amish country.  It works 75 yards in all directions.  I think we'll buy another one if we make another trip.

I found one last bag of garden zucchini, so I whipped up a breakfast casserole yesterday.  This morning I will have more time to get other things done.





Comments

Chasity said…
That snake definitely looks like a stick!
Chasity, right? Ugh. My husband removed it from the flower bed.
We have garter snakes around here and they are harmless, but they give me the hebee -gebees. Not my favorite thing to have in the garden. i probanly would of ran a mile a way from it!" UGH "
linnellnickerson they are in all my gardens, but they do tend to give me the hebee-begees every single time they appear.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart