Skip to main content

A Warm Up

 

Although they say we'll dip to a low of 5°F tonight, yesterday the sun was out all day and the icicles started to melt.  What a joy that was to see.   I knocked them down over the door to avoid any falling on us.  The warm up is approaching thankfully.  I am prepared for a big muddy mess, but so glad to be moving out of the cold spell.

I had a lot of indoor house chores, and after doing laundry all day, I pulled the rug from the washer only to notice water on the floor.  Yep.  Guess what my husband is doing today?  Ha ha ha!  Fixing the softener line that runs into the water lines behind the utility room sink.  Water is shut off, so thankfully I had jugs of water to make coffee this morning.

Speaking of rugs, the rug at my master bath shower is a rag rug, crocheted from old bedding.  I do think it's time to make a new one, but time will tell.  I was exhausted from housework, but at least that is done and will free up time this weekend.  We need to tackle fixing the wood splitter too.  

Mail is running very slow in our parts.  There has been times when we are not getting anything for 3 days, which is very unusual.  We typically don't go one day without something (mostly junk mail), but I do worry about a late bill, so guess what I am doing today?  Writing down due dates and bill names on my handy dandy planner.  I pay them all online, so I can check my planner every day from now on.  

Oh, and speaking of late mail, the IRS said we didn't pay our taxes in 2020.  I typed up a letter, gave them the online bank confirmation number, sent them the interest they were charging us (which we should have had to pay).  Guess what they sent back?  Yep.  They interest.  Guess it was worth writing a letter with a real check vs. paying online this time.

Okay, sorry for the boring post.  I'm trying to get my husband to start this day.  I had to tell him about the mess in the utility room as he was literally walking in the door from work last night.  Hallway progress will depend on how long it takes to tackle today's repairs, and of course splitting some wood so we can turn off our expensive electric heat.

Comments

I worry about missing bills, or bills being late, if we don't get mail also. Which doesn't happen very often, luckily.

Hope he gets the latest job done, quickly. What a way to spend a weekend day.

🍒 🍒 🍒 🍒
Beside a babbling brook, that's what worries me too. Nothing is arriving on time anymore. Thanks. I hope we get repairs done and over with too.
Cockeyed Jo said…
We're back in the 60s for daytime highs and rain. Just as muddy.
Cockeyed Jo, 60's sounds fabulous. We haven't gotten rain here thankfully. The melting snow is enough for the muddy mess lol!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart