Skip to main content

Warm Days


I took advantage of a few warm sunny days to infuse medicinal oil for homemade "Neosporin."

I was able to find organic ginger root recently, so some was grated and dehydrated, and some was put in the freezer for winter.

I put in an order for Thrift books, but one that was in my cart is no longer available.  I guess I will try for that one at a late date.

I spent a bit of time on the phone calling places.  I had to call the hardware store and tell them why we haven't been in to pick up the new shower, so they are taking note. It's already paid for, just waiting for us to pick it up.  

I decided to not can Port Wine jelly at all this year.  If you have a tried and true (and easy) recipe that used port wine, please share.  Of course we could drink it too.

The car finally (finally) was towed to our repair guy, however, the car we sold to our 21 year-old is acting up again.  Our biker friend is coming over today to replace the plugs.  Praying that's all it is.  So thankful to know people who can help.

Comments

M. Meyers said…
I’ve made something similar to this. I served with ice cream. https://www.laaloosh.com/2008/02/17/yummy-low-calorie-apples-n-port-recipe-for-your-crock-pot/amp/
Sandra said…
Wow homemade neosporin sounds great. Glad you know someone that can help with car repairs, that helps a lot.
Sandra thanks. The car has been returned with new plugs and purrs like a kitten thankfully.
Faith said…
Port Wine jelly sounds lovely. I like port wine cheese as well. Glad you got your wheels back.
Cockeyed Jo said…
Why aren't you growing your own ginger and turmeric in pots? I bring them in each winter. I'll also harvest and split them into new pots each spring.
mamasmercantile said…
Just read the above comment so thankful that all is well with the car.
Cockeyed Jo, there are a few things we are unable to grow here. For example, I can't even grow blueberry plants due to the limestone. I can't grow cumin either.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart