Skip to main content

Random Tidbits

 

More beautiful fall colors at our homestead.  The colors seem to be more vibrant than the last few years.


The moon this morning.

My online pampered chef show closed last night.  I had over $1,000 in sales and earned $240 in free product, 2 - 60% off items, 5 - half off items and 30% off anything else I order.  I'm pretty sure after this, I won't need to have a party for years to come ha ha!  I never in my life thought I would be that successful.

Cross your fingers for me.  My car, after a long year, is to be towed to the repair guy for a new engine tonight.  I think my husband forgot, but will remind him.  It's been a long time waiting for this to happen.

We have a mix of weather going on.  It was pretty nice in the low 70's yesterday, we got a downpour of rain last night, and woke up to 45°F this morning.  Thankful for the rain, so I can dig up the remaining sweet potatoes (hopefully tomorrow).

Many businesses have closed permanently due to the pandemic shutdowns.  My magazine subscription to Capper's Farmer is now having issues.  They sent an email saying I won't be getting the remainder of my subscription, and they will be sending me Grit for the remaining time.

I have a few more things to can this year. I'm putting off one jelly, because it was technically for Christmas presents.  I may not can it.

I didn't get my ginger root in the dehydrator yesterday, so it's on today's list, but we'll see if I get the time to do it.  There is so much going on right now.  Yikes.  I have several sticky notes with reminders to keep me on track as much as possible.

The stink bugs are back in full force.  It's impossible to hang laundry out and not have a few come in with me.  I'm thinking (gulp!) of using the dryer for big things for a while.

Comments

Oh boy, we got stink bugs here is SD too.
Wildflower Adventures, I haven't seen these bugs this bad in years. Urgh.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart