Skip to main content

It Arrived! ~ Restocked Lip Balm ~ Woodpecker ~ Feverfew

Finally!  After 2 1/2 months, my pressure canner has arrived.  We are still waiting on about 3-4 more orders from months ago.


I accidentally made the first batch Calendula (because I was reading my recipe.  I re-wrote it now, so I reads "Lemon Balm Oil" as well.  I have to put the lemon balm in tubes, so I can take them on motorcycle rides.  The slide trays work at home though.  Not sure where I got my recipe.



\Red bellied woodpecker?

My feverfew bloomed for the first time ever!

We got a 10 minute rain storm late evening.  Thankful for the rain.  However, all day they kept saying an all night threatening storm.  I stripped my porch, took hanging pots down etc.  Now I have to put it all back.  All for 10 minutes of rain.  No 70mph winds they kept saying we'd have.  Oh, and no tornadoes.

Comments

Faith said…
Waiting on my Calendula slow growing from seed. We had a doozy rain, lots of lightening and high winds here, and a rainbow to follow. I have to post those pictures. Cooled it down real nice.
Faith said…
I have something which looks like feverfew on the side of the house. I didn't plant feverfew...going to take a picture so I can try to figure out what I have. What do you use it for?
Tracy dixon said…
That bird is a Northern Flicker. We have recently seen some in our yard.
Faith our garden got a good soaking. I grow feverfew for tea for one daughter who gets headaches, but it has other medicinal values like for reducing a fever.
Same here with those winds. Covered the garden 2 times to protect from hail & such & then barely got enough rain to wet the ground, though the storm did hit farther south. We protect our plants like they are our babies....LOL!!
Leigh said…
Congrats on the arrival of the pressure canner! Were you getting worried it might never show? Lovely feverfew.
Leigh, I was worried it was not going to arrive. Direct from the company they were sold out, and I snagged it from Amazon (same price)
Wildflower Adventures. You are right about the plants, lol!
Cockeyed Jo said…
I've drooled over that canner for years. Alas, I can't use it. I can do the alternating toggles with one hand. Have fun with yours for me.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart