Skip to main content

Weed Growth ~ Pot planted vs. Ground Growing ~ Mullein and Burdock

Mullein planted in a pot last year and survived winter, but it's small.



Mullein that popped up in a bed close to the house, along with burdock.  Big difference in size.  I think this bed will be my weed bed now, aside from the mints.  I need a bed in the ground somewhere for those.


Burdock.  I never planted this in a pot, as it grows wild all over the place.

Comments

I would enjoy knowing what you do with the plants such as when you harvest them & what you make with them. I've made dandelion jelly & would like to make things with other wild plants. I've been wanting to try making some tea but not taken the steps to know how to do it. We have chocolate mint & cat nip growing in the garden that I've wanted to try tea making.
Goatldi said…
Lucky you.

Mullein grew wild at my last county but only above 1500 feet. I may have to head higher up the mountain to find it here.
Lady Locust said…
Both grow wild around here. I never thought about planting them. I just go "find" them (like I have to hunt for them - ha, pretty tough:0))
Wildflower Adventures, I use the mullein for a tincture (colds, coughs etc) and I use the Burdock root for an infused oil to make hair health oil. I heard you can eat the burdock leaf, but haven't looked into that just yet.
Goatldi, I was so shocked when I saw it in the ground (mullein), and tickled pink. I hope I get more of it next year.
Lady Locust, I'd have to go hunt a campground hiking area to find them otherwise, but it's nice to have it right here. We have lots of plantain here though, clevers, and chickweed too.
RB said…
Interesting experiment.
Well, now we know, don't we.
Mother Earth is best. LOL
God bless you all.
RB
<><
RB, yes Mother Earth knows best.
Cockeyed Jo said…
Don't fool with Mother Nature.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart