Skip to main content

Harvesting Stinging Nettle ~ Garage Clean Up

The snow was arriving around noon yesterday, so I went ahead and harvested some stinging nettle.  It filled my smaller dehydrator.  Happy for that. If you haven't done this before, be sure to have thick gloves on.  The "sting" does not leave the plant until you either cook it or dehydrate it.

Hubby and I spent 3 hours in the garage.  Found so much we can give away - roller blades, knee pads, wrist guards, all sorts of balls and bats, kids tent....lots to throw out too.  Now the trash is full, so it waits again for another day.  Happy for that too.

Luckily, I harvest a small bit of feverfew.  I make tea for our youngest daughter's headaches.  





The sunrise this morning.  I actually slept until just before it came up.  Beautiful, and praying for the best for world, especially our Governor.  I just hope they don't hold us captive much longer, and that they do not enforce wearing a mask all year.  I do understand the purpose, but you can't gain immunity by covering our faces an entire year, possibly 18 months.  There is hope for things to open back up.  In our state if you are tested and are positive they are giving your personal information to the local EMS/Police authorities - so much for HIPPA and our privacy.  Might as well stamp a number on us.   Sorry for the "Debbie Downer" but it really has me thinking/wondering.  Keep praying.


Comments

Robin said…
Very well said about the sharing of health information. The reaction for some of the restrictions imposed on citizens. I told my husband that a civil war is on its way. Be safe.
Lisa B said…
Any chance you have toddler skates in your purge? I am looking for the adjustable ones like my kids had eons ago.
RB said…
We're under quarantine here in NC too, and I for one am happy for it because I'm in a high risk group being almost 73, with diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol, just to name a few. I think of it this way, if a teacher teaching my grandchild, if I had one, tested positive, wouldn't I want her/his parents to know?
And if wearing a face mask helps stop this deadly virus, then I'm all for it.
Remember, the world has been through such as this not too long ago - with polio and tuberculosis. and if our grandparents and great-grandparents got through it by obeying the rules, then we can too.
Dear Lord, if it be Your will, come lift this scourge from us, in Christ Jesus name. AMEN!!!
God bless.
RB
<><
Robin, it's a very scary world right now.
Lisa B, I do not. I have ones for older kids. If I hear of anyone getting rid of some I will snag them up for you.
Anonymous said…
I so agree with RB. Those who are not willing to sacrifice a little inconvenience and privacy will jeopardize us all. Saw a good quote: "Our parents were asked to go to war in Europe & the Pacific -- all we're being asked to do in STAY HOME." Those who protest the shut-down are extreme attention-seekers who have a political agenda. This is life and death.
Cockeyed Jo said…
Do you make rennet for cheese out of your stinging nettles? I do. Makes an excellent rennet fresh is better than dehydrated, but both will work.
Cockeyed Jo, we don't raise dairy goats anymore and I have no access to raw milk of any kind. I am interested though how you make the rennet with it.
Cockeyed Jo said…
Kristina, Stinging nettle is one of a few natural vegetable based coagulant already. I take a pound of fresh nettles (cleaned stems and all) to 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil and reduce liquid to 3/4 of initial amount. Strain and cool. 1 oz of rennet to 1 gal of milk. You may have to play it the amount of stinging nettle extract to get the curds you want. A lot of factors come into play like the age of the nettles (growing, flowering, post flowering) that affects the coagulant time and amount.
Cockeyed Jo, thank you so much for that information. I used to make cheese all the time with our dairy goat milk. I may have to raise one again after all of this.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart