Skip to main content

Tiger ~ Grape Jelly ~ Weather ~ Canning Journal

I was at the computer writing up my post yesterday morning, and it was raining. I kept hearing something in the window and thought it was rain.  Not so.  I pulled back the curtain, and Tiger was on the windowsill, eating my basil plant!  It's not toxic, but he's acting up lately.  The weather perhaps?  



Or perhaps we have another stray cat eating the barn car food now.  Urgh.  Not what we need.  Apparently, Romeo isn't fond of them either.  I now have 3 holes in a curtain that covers the window that is by the food box.  Lovely.  Now I have another "to-do" on the list - sew curtain.




I canned grape jelly.  We use this to mix with BBQ sauce or other sauces for our meatballs, or enjoy for PB and J sandwiches.

The weekend brings us weather obstacles.  Again.  Rain poured down all day Friday, snow moves in today, and possibly more snow Sunday.  Looking over the "to-do's" we have, and what needs done is getting down right frustrating.

Got out my "canning" journal and added a page to it - bulk buy items and their status.  It'll help keep me on track with future orders.

Comments

Carol said…
I would love to make some homemade jelly, but I never learned to can and I don't think I can now either. Our weather is the same way although we are having freezing rain and rain, but it is stopping much of the to do list from being done.
Carol, the weather is stopping us too. So frustrating.
Mama Pea said…
Where did you get the grapes for your grape jelly? Had them in the freezer? Growing up we had a lovely grape arbor in our back yard and grape jelly was the only jelly my mom made. So good!

Our temps are hovering around 32° the past two days so we're getting a misty rain/snow/yuck mixture which is making the snow on the ground both slushy and slippery. Not much going on outside here either except daily chores.
Mama Pea, I had to use organic unsweetened grape juice. I have a resource for this year for concord grapes, so I'm crossing my fingers.
Mary said…
I’ll wager you do have a stray eating your cat’s food. Here in Massachusetts there used to be wild grapes growing along country roads, across from my childhood home they grew thickly over a tall stone wall that ran the length of the neighbor’s yard. They were small and the skins were pucker inducingly sour but would taste sweeter after the frost. My mother would send us out and we’d pick buckets full and she’d make grape jelly every year. The family across the street didn’t mind as they lost interest when they tried to make wine from them and it wasn’t to their liking.The
Mary, you got me thinking. I may try and make wine too. We have all the stuff to make it too.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart