Skip to main content

Weekend Updates

(Today's rain)

We've had a few dry days, but planting hasn't happened.  Hubby is over worked and sick, and tilling wasn't going to get done.  I may have to hire someone for some work around the outside of the house as well.  It's frustrating, but I can't change his work schedule.  We have lost one jalapeno plant to the last storm, and maybe one tomato, but all others still look good.

Saturday I ran errands all over the "big city." Picked up chicken feed, stopped at the bank, visited Mom and took her some lasagna, stopped at the grocery store and finally found organic fresh broccoli, and picked up another 453# of mulch.  Had to load the darn bags myself, since they only had one guy helping and it was too hot to just sit and wait for him. 


....when I'm unsupervised. 

I also picked up some solar lights for what little garden I have planted.  I am trying to deter the deer, coyote and other critters now.

Jesse stopped eating his food again, so I cooked a farm fresh egg for him and he finally ate.  Poor ol' dog.

Sunday, Hubby's only day off, we awoke to more rain.  

It's now occurred to me that with the crops not planted and the massive amounts of deer we've seen (more than ever before), that I need to get a dog and walk it around the property lines.  Daughter took Jesse to the park for the day and with him gone, I was lost without a dog for the day.  Fence is back on the list.

It's already been one heck of a morning.  Tiger flew out the door when I went out to take Jesse out. Took me an hour to get him back in.  Darn cat!  Looks like I will be getting out a hand saw and doing some of Hubby's outdoor chores.  They have to get done, and we can't really hire help.  Wish me luck this week, and maybe next week too.



It's a balmy, humid (88%) 70°F at 5:23am.  Rain is in the forecast again.  Yes, you heard me right.  More rain.  90% of farmers have not planted their crops, and my green bell peppers are starting to look terrible (no planted).



I was inspired to read a book by this author after our visit to the Alcatraz Crime Museum in Pigeon Forge.  The book explains how the author got his experience in forensics.


He was a forensics specialist and used his knowledge to write fiction books.  It just inspired me to read one of his books.  I've already ordered his first fiction book to read.


I'm also reading through old "writer" magazines I had bagged and stashed  in my bedroom closet.  I'm determined to clean them all out of there and actually read them.  Otherwise I'll be tempted to stash them back in the closet, and we don't want that happening.




I borrowed this movie from the library.  I love books, so I enjoyed this movie, however the ending is a bit of a downer.  I do recommend it if you love books.  You'll be reading a book or buying a book after watching it.



 Remember these kits I put together?  I decided it needed one more item in it....


A pair of reading glasses. I may buy more smaller eye needles and add a few of those for crochet thread projects.


I hate it when this happens - yarn imperfection.  Good thing I wasn't that far into crocheting this square.


. . . making granny squares for a Christmas present (scarf), another knitted dishcloth, Christmas ornaments and painting mini clipboards (which is on halt due to humidity).  More on all of these later.



Hubby refused to see a doctor at Urgent care Sunday (hmpf).  I got up and started breakfast Sunday.  He later got up and did the eggs for these omelets we had.  Wild violet jelly on the English muffin.  So good!

Sorry the post was so long today.  Hope you enjoyed it!




Comments

Faith said…
I'm tired! You are a whilrlwind....I do hope your husband feels better soon, take care of him and yourself. Rain lots of rain here in NE Ohio...it's raining now, very humid. It's ok for the potted plants, but I can see if you have a large plot or acres...this is a problem. Later in the summer it will be the opposite. Likin the yarn projects....
Thanks Faith, it's been horrible this year and most frustrating.
mamasmercantile said…
The never ending rain seems like a nightmare for you, at least we get a break for a few days. Hope your hubby feels better soon, I am sure you are looking after him well. Remember to look after yourself to you are always so busy. Great projects.
Thanks mamasmercantile. We will get a dry spell for a day or so again. I'm thankful for that.
Joanne said…
Thanks for the book suggestions! I love reading crime dramas. Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a great week! Blessings!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart