Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Saturday, March 30, 2019

Preparing and Restocking

I've been spending rainy/cold days on theter putting orders in to restock and preparing for canning season.  Brazil nuts help my hair and nails stay healthy.  These are not sold in our stores, and I haven't found them at the health store 40 minutes from home either.


I use this for a few canned items, but I also use Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar for many other canned items.  The organic white is not sold in stores (non-gmo).






This corn syrup was in very limited supply last year.  Two years ago the grocery store carried it.  I'll probably order more to be prepared for the holidays, without worries of limited supply.  I also use it to make homemade teriyaki sauce.



Restocked the einkron flour as well too.

I also made a batch of homemade dinner rolls for our "Christmas" gathering with my side of the family. It's more like an Easter get together now.




I love bread making days.  It's sort of relaxing.

I am writing up a few recipes that I'll post soon.

12 comments:

Faith said...

do you mind if I have a roll with butter while we visit. Your home must smell amazing...what a cozy,comforting aroma. I rather fancy bread baking days myself, I don't have a regular schedule for it as I used to. Sometimes I make the overnight bread, which like sourdough when we are having soup, it is a crunch, crusty soup kind of bread.

Harry Flashman said...

You can't get Brazil nuts here, either. I think it's because the grocery store is afraid of being associated with the nuts, which once had a colloquial name .

Rain said...

Your bread rolls look so delicious! I'm having a baking day here too! Funny about the Brazil Nuts, they are my favourite and I can't find them anywhere. I used to be able to buy them at the grocery store, then I could only find them at the bulk store, now nowhere! I'll have to get some online!

mamasmercantile said...

The bread looked delicious. I am going to start running down my freezers and store cupboard now that the weather is picking up and restock before the start of next winter.

Sam I Am...... said...

Love the organic items. It's always nice to know what's out there. Your spices are made in Iowa at Frontier and I have been to their company years ago before organic was popular. Your rolls look beautiful!

Carol said...

I don't use any of those organic items but some of them seem interesting and those rolls look delicious. I just seen that you have homemade marshmallows here so I am going to take a look at that post.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Faith I love the smell of bread baking days.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Harry, I hate having to rely on online shopping, but it's the only way I can get some items. Urgh.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Rain, I can only get those nuts online. Same with a few others. Nuts in stores are not organic and have added bad oils in them.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

mamasmercantile, that's what I'm doing. Using up and restocking.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Sam I Am.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Carol