Skip to main content

Preparing and Restocking

I've been spending rainy/cold days on theter putting orders in to restock and preparing for canning season.  Brazil nuts help my hair and nails stay healthy.  These are not sold in our stores, and I haven't found them at the health store 40 minutes from home either.


I use this for a few canned items, but I also use Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar for many other canned items.  The organic white is not sold in stores (non-gmo).






This corn syrup was in very limited supply last year.  Two years ago the grocery store carried it.  I'll probably order more to be prepared for the holidays, without worries of limited supply.  I also use it to make homemade teriyaki sauce.



Restocked the einkron flour as well too.

I also made a batch of homemade dinner rolls for our "Christmas" gathering with my side of the family. It's more like an Easter get together now.




I love bread making days.  It's sort of relaxing.

I am writing up a few recipes that I'll post soon.

Comments

Faith said…
do you mind if I have a roll with butter while we visit. Your home must smell amazing...what a cozy,comforting aroma. I rather fancy bread baking days myself, I don't have a regular schedule for it as I used to. Sometimes I make the overnight bread, which like sourdough when we are having soup, it is a crunch, crusty soup kind of bread.
Harry Flashman said…
You can't get Brazil nuts here, either. I think it's because the grocery store is afraid of being associated with the nuts, which once had a colloquial name .
Rain said…
Your bread rolls look so delicious! I'm having a baking day here too! Funny about the Brazil Nuts, they are my favourite and I can't find them anywhere. I used to be able to buy them at the grocery store, then I could only find them at the bulk store, now nowhere! I'll have to get some online!
mamasmercantile said…
The bread looked delicious. I am going to start running down my freezers and store cupboard now that the weather is picking up and restock before the start of next winter.
Sam I Am...... said…
Love the organic items. It's always nice to know what's out there. Your spices are made in Iowa at Frontier and I have been to their company years ago before organic was popular. Your rolls look beautiful!
Carol said…
I don't use any of those organic items but some of them seem interesting and those rolls look delicious. I just seen that you have homemade marshmallows here so I am going to take a look at that post.
Faith I love the smell of bread baking days.
Harry, I hate having to rely on online shopping, but it's the only way I can get some items. Urgh.
Rain, I can only get those nuts online. Same with a few others. Nuts in stores are not organic and have added bad oils in them.
mamasmercantile, that's what I'm doing. Using up and restocking.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart