Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Healthy Homemade Granola Bars

Our favorite granola bars, and freezer friendly.  Excellent for a snack, for car trips, camping, motorcycle rides (minus the chocolate since it can melt), school lunches and more.



Line an 8 x 8 baking dish with parchment paper.  If you do not have parchment paper, you may be successful lining it with foil and lightly oiling it (I have only used parchment and it works great).

In a rimmed sheet pan, place 2 1/2 cups organic oats and 1/2 cup chopped organic nuts of your choice.

Heat oven to 350°F and toast oats and nuts for about 8 minutes.  If you chose to add seeds (read below for the additional 3/4 cup of your choice), I like to add them to the sheet pan and toast along with the oats and nuts.  I use hemp seeds often.

While that is toasting in the oven, in a small pan heat:



1/4 c. organic butter
1/4 c. organic honey
1/3 c. organic brown sugar

Heat on low until sugar is dissolved, remove from heat and add:


1/2 to 1 tsp. homemade vanilla.  I like to use 1 tsp.  Stir.

Pour toasted oat/nut/seed mix into a mixing bowl, and add:



3/4 cup of your choice of dried fruits, seeds, coconut etc. If adding chocolate bits, do not add yet.

Pour the heated honey mixture over the oat and fruit/nut mixture.



Mix well until everything is coated.  This will prevent anything crumbling off when you cut it into bars.  

*wait for mixture to cool before adding any chocolate bits to this.  


Pour mixture into the prepared pan and press down.  I like to use the back of a measuring cup to do this step.  Place in the refrigerator for a few hours.


Remove from the refrigerator, and turn upside down and remove parchment paper.  On a cutting board, slice the bars as you prefer.

Store in the refrigerator or freezer.

Note:  I do not add any salt to this.  I use salted organic butter and the taste is great!  

Healthy Homemade Granola Bars  © March 2019 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

13 comments:

Carol said...

I have never tried to make granola bars, but I might try later in the week.

Faith said...

We like granola bars, have to give this a try. I'm wondering if you could use it for cereal also, maybe that would have to be baked. Have a glorious day !

Faith said...

duh! I went back and re read the directions again, it is baked. So then maybe one could smash it up and make it a cereal too.

mamasmercantile said...

What a tasty snack. I am going into the kitchen to see if I have all the ingredients.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Carol, they are so easy to make and taste great.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Faith the oats and nuts are toasted in the oven, then you melt the butter, brown sugar and honey in a pan and pour over the toasted mixture that's been mixed with the fruits/nuts seeds.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

mamasmercantile, they are very good and they've been a hit for the family to take to work and school.

Sam I Am...... said...

Those sound delicious! I'm always looking for healthy snacks. Thank you. I'll be trying them out!

Mama Pea said...

Yay for homemade granola bars! Our daughter has been making our bars since early this last winter. For ours, I provide her with all the ingredients and she makes them for us. I can't believe how good they are. I've always been turned off by (even organic) store bought granola bars because they either taste like recycled cardboard or have no taste at all. But now we use her homemade ones for a nutritious snack if needed, a substitute for some other dessert, to take on hikes, etc. Our last two batches I've included dried sour cherries in with the fruit. Oh, are those good!

Debby Flowers said...

They look fantastic! I know I would love them and probably eat more than I should!, especially if chocolate was involved. Thanks for sharing!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Sam I Am

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, sour cherries? Yum.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Debby, Hubby loves them and so do the kids.