Skip to main content

My Word (s) for this Year

One year the word for the year for me, was "patience."  I even made myself a sign on old barn wood.

I won't be making signs for these words, but I think the words for this year are preparedness and giving.  I want to be more prepared for just everything.  For example, I want the deep cleaning completely done, so I can be rested mindfully when the gardening time arrives.  I want to be well stocked with natural remedies, oils, balms and lotions.

I also want to have firewood stocked up and other prepared items.  As for giving, I just want to be more giving.

I have been asked to make a donation to an auction, that will raise money for a wing to be added to a church for children.



I have decided to donate one of the Harley Davidson inspired lapghans.  Value is $45.00.  Harley related items typically auction off at high prices, giving the fundraiser a boost.  The person who asked me, dedicated herself to run the fundraiser for our nephew's funeral.  She is a very good person, and this is a good cause.

We are gearing up for some more bad weather.  Wind gusts on Sunday may bring gust up to 50mph.  The temperature was said to be up to 60°F and you know Hubby was looking to take a ride on our sanity saver.  Not happening.  Once it's over, I'll be out to check on the plastic that is over the garlic.

Speaking of garden, Hubby and I have some plans to add one or more raised beds.  I just hope he has time to help me get them built.  And that the weather holds up for us to get them done before planting season.

Youngest is feeling very good now.  So happy for her.  She has a "spirit" week at school next week.  One is Hippie Day and one is Rock Day.  She raided my closet and jewelry and even my biker boots for rock day (my tall ones with laces).  She's happy and all set for the week.  I even had a very nice tie dye hippie inspired top, ha ha!  

I have so many books on "hold" at the library, I am unable to put any more on hold until some start coming in, ha ha!  I do keep them in business.  Some times I get my best information on a remedy, instructions to build something, new recipe, or pattern from a library book vs. the internet.  I went through a large stack of books yesterday, so deep cleaning must resume today.

Comments

Mama Pea said…
Certainly hope the really "bad" weather misses you. We're due for another snowfall starting tonight, but the inches predicted are not anything too serious. We're getting into the time of late winter when the words "freezing rain/sleet" enter into the forecasts. Snow, we can handle; ice and sleet, not so much! Have a good weekend, Kristina.
mamasmercantile said…
What a beautiful afghan and a very generous donation. Our thoughts are starting to turn to the garden, plans have already been made up and seeds sorted.
Mama Pea, thanks. They keep forecasting the warnings to batten down the hatches.
mamasmercantile, I need to begin seed starts inside soon. I just hope for some good ol' sunshine to come through the windows soon.
Leigh said…
Those are excellent words to focus on. We should all take a page from your book!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart