Skip to main content

Taco Pasta ~ Popcorn Topping

There have been days when I just think ice cream sounds good for dinner, and I don't want to cook.  However, one night I threw together a pasta dinner with what was on hand (too hot to hit the grocery store for restocking).


We still have some corn and beets in the freezer, so veggies are still supplying us, but I had to be creative with the pasta dish.


I created a healthier Taco Pasta.  Here's what I did . . .

Cook 1 lb. of organic ground beef.  Add 2-3 Tbsp. of homemade dry taco seasoning, and a bit of water.  Cook down until moisture is cooked out. 

Meanwhile.  Boil one box of non-gmo shells, drain.  Add the pasta to the ground beef, add one cup of salsa (I used my home canned zucchini salsa, 1/2 pint of home canned taco sauce, and 1-2 cups of organic chedder cheese.  Some snipped chives or something on top would be nice for color (and health reasons), so I'll do that next time.  This dish went over very well.

I took homegrown popcorn to a new level.


 (no photo - we ate it all)

Popcorn Topping - mix 1/4 cup cumin, 3 Tbsp. oregano, and 1 Tbsp. cayenne.  Sprinkle over buttered popcorn and enjoy!  All of the ingredients just up the health in home grown popcorn.


Guess what project I finally finished?  The Monster ice pop holders.









My little nephew will be a pretty happy kid.  His hands won't be cold and he'll have some cool holders.    

Comments

Leigh said…
Oh gosh, the taco pasta looks scrumptious. So much fun to pull together a creative meal with things you grew for yourself. I like the popcorn topping idea too. Love our homegrown popcorn! But the monster ice pop holders really take the cake. So cute. What kid wouldn't love?
Thanks Leigh! I hope to deliver the ice pop holders soon. I can't wait to see his face.
Susan said…
Those ice pop holders are wonderful! Genius! I might have to pop some popcorn this weekend just to try that topping - if it cools off enough...
Susan, thanks. I know what you mean about the heat. Sheesh.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart