Skip to main content

Making Dirty Dishes

I don't know what I was thinking.  I had plans to clean a bathroom, muck the coop, do more decluttering. . . I managed to walk the box of borax to the bathroom though, and dug a few plastic storage drawers from the barn and washed them up. . .




. . . being lazy, I skipped my work out (the horror!) after all my him-hawing, and baked a sweet potato/black bean frittata with dandelion greens.



(not the best rise, because I forgot to add the butter and added it last - edible, but not the best)

Then I thought that wasn't enough, so I whipped up some bread dough and made a loaf.



While that was doing it's job of rising and baking, the crazy nut I am, whipped up some blueberry muffins.



I also decided to wash the baby bonnets and misc. stuff.  I washed another load of shirts too.  Put those on the line after the rain stopped.

And if that isn't enough dirty dishes for the day, I took a tea break on the porch, and while the rising was going on decided to cook some bacon.  I had him-hawed on dinner, and came up with a plan.


I always cook my potatoes, carrots and onions in a second crock pot when I cook a roast in another.  I always cook too many veggies, and only had a tiny sliver of roast left.  I boiled up the last (very last) bag of frozen garden green beans, and add them, and the cooked bacon to the potato mix.  Wa-la!  Dinner. 

Then I sat there staring at all those dirty dishes.  Well, Hubby will have breakfast, snack and dinner to take to work, and bread to toast with home canned jam/jelly too.

Comments

Connie said…
Oh I wish you would have given us the recipe for your fritata. My Grandmother used to cook with dandelion greens, but I have never tried them. At least that I remember, but I have been reading about how good they are for you. Grandma kept a fenced in area where the greens grew wild and the dogs and other animals could not get to them.
I love trying new recipes especial when I know that they have great health values.
Have a sweet day.
Connie :)
Connie, I didn't have a recipe for this one, I sort of threw it together on a whim. As for the dandelion greens, I blanch them and freeze them in pint bags, so when I use them I wilt them down in water and salt and pepper. I let them cool, squeeze the water out of them, and sprinkle into the eggs. For the frittata I just diced up a sweet potato and red onion, tossed in some oil and my "Full Throttle" spice mix, added a drained can of organic black beans and added them last, poured the eggs in and then the greens. I typically add some homemade yogurt to my eggs vs. milk too. Bake in a cast iron pan at 375°F for about 20 minutes or until done. Hope that helps.
Susan said…
That frittata looks so delicious! I have to remember to gather up some dandelion greens while they are still rampant. I like your idea of adding yogurt vs. milk. Thanks to my Instant Pot, I can now make a half-gallon of yogurt at a time! It's amazing how fast dirty dishes can stack up, isn't it?
Susan, the frittata was delicious. Yes, I can stack up those dirty dishes fast on a good cooking/baking day. That's great about the instant pot!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart