Skip to main content

A twist to succotash

The kids were wondering if I was trying to speak a new language when I mentioned "succotash" for dinner.  I have never made succotash before, so I was thrilled to try a new recipe of sorts. 




I however, did not put it over fish.  I put fish in it.  I call this dish
"Tuna-Tash."  It's a combination of a homemade succotash mixed with tuna/bacon.

I cooked my Lima beans ahead, then added the corn, tomatoes and green bell pepper.   I cooked bacon for another breakfast, so I kept a few slices aside along with some bacon fat.  

I crumbled the bacon and put it aside.  I heated some diced onion and bell pepper first, in the bacon fat.  I then added tuna, crumbled bacon and added the succotash to it.  I added some garlic too.  Yum!   I cooked up some "off the cob" corn to go in the succotash.  All the flavors worked out pretty well.

I am putting this recipe in my "family recipe book."  I simple yet healthy and delicious dinner.

The meal didn't last long here either.   I put the leftover cooked lima beans (I had cooked a pound of beans), into a cabbage soup for another meal.

Note:  I honestly think this would be a nice tasty filler for green bell peppers or a baked potato. 

Comments

Sam I Am...... said…
I just had some cod the other night that i did not care for the recipe so fish is off limits to me for awhile but the succotash and the bacon sound yummy! LOL! I meant to ask you....do you know if you can get dried black beans? I can't find them or else ih aven't looked hard enough. I only find them in the can and I can get organic but would like to use the dried. I have to catch up with your posts...I have fallen way behind per usual! LOL! Have a great day!
Sam I Am, yes, I buy dry organic black beans at our grocery store. Check the organic sections or in the area of dry beans and lentils (usually near rice etc). Or buy online.
Mama Pea said…
Oh, that looks yummy. (And I just finished lunch!) Love how you put the extra cooked up lima beans in your soup. A combo you maybe wouldn't find in a recipe book but good and filling none the less.

Sam I Am, I buy the dried black beans in bulk from our local organic co-op and I can't tell you how much more flavor they have cooked up compared to the canned ones available. That's proven true for me with all beans I can buy and cook here at home. Much more economical, too!
mamasmercantile said…
I am like your children, thinking it is a different language. Whilst I have never heard of it , the meal really does look tasty.
Mama Pea, I think I have the kids hooked on lima beans now. We don't eat enough of them here.
Thanks mamasmercantile. It's typically served over fish.
RB said…
Sounds interesting, and it WOULD be a good filler for peppers or a baked potato...covered with cheese, of course. LOL
God bless.
RB
<><
RB, hm, shredded gooey cheese on top sounds delicious.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart