Skip to main content

Rainy Days ~ Popcorn "pop" test #2 ~ Radish Seeds

I'm starting to think I need to get the canoe out to get around outside.  It's raining so often, the puddles are now like pools of water (which are frozen today).  We are going through many towels to wipe dog paws this week.


Popcorn "pop" test #2



It's taking much longer to dry out the popcorn this year.  We haven't used our pellet stove all winter (which heats the other end of the house), on account of it needing parts (and we all know about the medical bills).  In the past, I would put the ears of corn in front of the pellet stove, and it would be ready by December.  Not this time.  

I started tackling the first type of radish seeds.  It will take many more days to complete this chore.  It took almost an hour for that little bowl of seeds, and it doesn't look like much, right?  I'll be asking for some help this next weekend.





Comments

Mama Pea said…
Yep, all those "little" after-the-harvest chores that take soooo much more time than one would think. Most folks (sadly) think we're crazy for doing such things when we could go buy a pre-popped (even!) bag of popcorn in a minute or purchase some month old radishes (with no taste and an awful texture) off the grocery shelf. Ha! What benefits we all reap from taking the time and effort to produce the same right on our own piece of land. Mundane work such as seeding those radish pods is what I'm good at . . . wish I could sit in a chair next to you, chat and help out!
Mama Pea, you made me laugh out loud when you mentioned "crazy." I was thinking the same thing. My extended family must think I'm nuts, ha ha!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart