Skip to main content

Quiet Kitchen Capers ~ Garlic-Honey Glazed Carrots


The house needed to be quiet yesterday, but dinner needed prepped too.  I spent my hours in the kitchen (making more dirty dishes, ha ha!)

First up?

Homemade sausage patties, for breakfast sandwiches for the next few days.  I used 1 lb. for Sunday breakfast, and saved the other pound for patties.

Next up?


Dinner prep - chicken and mustard sauce in the crock pot, and garden veggies from the freezer.  I later served it over a non-gmo wild rice, with heated mashed sweet potatoes (that were pre-frozen).

Next?



I pulled garden pumpkin puree, garden shredded zucchini, and some blueberries from the freezer - Zucchini Pumpkin Bundt bread to last all week for lunch packings and snacks. I used my hand mixer to not only keep the kitchen quiet, but save on electricity this winter.

While that bread baked. . . 


A pot of oats were cooked up for the hens and stud muffin Sparta.  I also (he he) treated them to 4 mustard filled eggs.


Next?

Eggs were boiled.  I stashed these, and it wasn't a full dozen either, but it'll do.  

Next? 

I double checked supplies for the next dinner.  I ended up doing a few loads of laundry, which were quietly placed on my giant wooden drying rack in the living room, and towels were placed on my utility room indoor clothesline.  Although, I badly wanted to turn on the vacuum and clean up the hearth, I opted to hand sweep it and and leave the carpets for today.

I almost forgot to share this - another self-sufficient way to cook up carrots.
Place a quart bag of frozen, sliced carrots into a wide sauce pan.  Add about 1/2 cup water and 2 cloves of garlic minced.  Add salt and pepper.  Bring to a boil, and simmer until carrots are cooked and water has reduced (add more if carrots need a longer cook time).  Stir in 2 Tbsp. of honey and simmer about 7-8 minutes longer.  Stir often to avoid it sticking to the pan.  

I made this for a quick side to go along with soup beans and cornbread a few days ago.  Delicious.  It was the first time Hubby slobbered over my soup beans too.  I used an old ham bone I kept in the freezer, not a ham hock.  I didn't have much ham on the bone, but the soup beans were very, very good.  I'll be sharing how I made my soup beans soon.

We got more snow, and the roads are very bad this morning. School is once again delayed.  



Comments

Susan said…
I don't know that I have ever known anyone who could cram so much into one day! And all while making no noise!!!
Susan, I left all the drawers, cupboards and doors open until I was completely done. Ha ha! That way I didn't make much noise. Today is different. I'll be vacuuming carpets and sucking down spider webs.
mamasmercantile said…
You have certainly been cooking up a storm. I do a lot of batch baking/cooking to save on the fuel cost. I love the sound of the carrots. Not sure I would manage to not a make a noise whilst working thought, I love to have some music on and sing along.
mamasmercantile, I have headphones, but rarely use them. I do love to cook and bake.
Louise Houghton said…
Oh I LOVE a productive day in the kitchen; very inspiring - thank you.
Louise, glad I could inspire you!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart