Skip to main content

Frugal Tips for Buying Organic Ingredients

I may be repeating information in this post, but I was reminded how wonderful it's been by adding dehydrated organic mushrooms to soups, pastas and stews this winter.

Of course this is in addition to all the frugal tips I've shared.


Olive Oil

Olive oil is expensive if you are buying it organic and non-gmo.  Olive oil should taste like olives. If it says it comes from more than one source, you are not getting true olive oil.

If organic and non-gmo are important to you and your family, consider buying it by the gallon.  Especially if you thrive to be self-sufficient, and use it for infusing (to make homemade lip balms, lotions, creams, balms, etc.).



Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar

Buy this by the gallon vs. the smaller bottles.  You will go through it quickly if you use it during canning season, make your own thieves vinegar (or other herb infused vinegar), your own facial toners, and more.  We are lucky to find a health store that sells it by the gallon.  Our grocers do not. I go through a lot for pickling too.


Mushrooms

Purchase when on sale and dehydrate.  Store in air tight containers in your freezer.  You'll have better nutrition at a better price.  Canned mushrooms are full of sodium, unless you buy salt free, but cans can have BPA too.


Celery

Purchase organic celery on sale, dice and freeze in ice cube containers.  Please visit my post on how to do this:  here


Spices/Herbs

Items like Cumin, Chili Powder, Cinnamon, ground mustard, sesame seeds, mustard seeds and others are used quite frequently at our homestead, and more so when canning season is here.   Locate a store (or online source) to purchase these in bulk, and at a good price.  Simply re-fill a small container in your pantry.  Store extra in canning jars in a dark cool location.  Be sure to date your jars.  You can do this with bay leaves or other herbs you are unable to grow yourself.

.


Comments

Mama Pea said…
Good tips, Kristina. I find buying almost anything in bulk is the way to go. Both financially and self-sufficiency wise. I know some folks say they don't have the room to store bulk quantities, but if this is important to you there are lots of places you can stash cases or home canned or dehydrated containers of goods: Under the bed, in a basement (if you have one and it's not damp), on the floor of a clothes closet, in the garage (if it's tempered regarding heat or cold), in totes stacked in a spare room (cover them with an attractive quilt or tablecloth), in the freezer (keeping your freezer full enables it to run more efficiently), etc.
Sam I Am...... said…
Great tips and information!
Mama Pea, thanks for all those storage tips too. Excellent ideas there.
Susan said…
So true! Once you identify your main staples, it pays to buy in bulk. My difficulty is finding things locally, which is my preference.
Henny Penny said…
I'm glad to know this. I never know which olive oil is best to buy.
mamasmercantile said…
Some great tips, I do need to look into buying some things in bulk for a more efficient pantry.
Leigh said…
Excellent advice. Sometimes it just takes a few adjustments in shopping to be able to get organics, but it's worth it.
Susan, same here. I wish there was a store for people like us. Unfortunately, there are more fast food, convenience food choices in our local stores.
mamasmercantile, after stepping it up a notch with canned goods, I made a list of things I needed more often, so I was better at buying bulk the next year.
Henny Penny, I watched a cooking show recently, where they taste tested olive oils, and I learned a lot.
Leigh, I try to grow everything myself, but I can't do it all. I tried growing cumin twice. Blueberries won't grow here either. It's a roll with the dice, but I sometimes find other things I can grow that I use and need.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart