Skip to main content

. . . from the gratitude journal

In light of yesterday's thrown together soup, I am posting a gratitude post today.  


I used everything I think  - home grown tomato juice, carrots, beans, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, habanero and jalapeno peppers, zucchini slices, corn...just about everything I had on hand.  It was an "everything but the kitchen sink soup" and spicy enough to clear out one's sinuses.

We may not have everything that I want, to maintain our homesteading lifestyle, or everything on our road to complete self-sufficiency, nor all the tools I need or want, or have the meat and dairy animals I would like to raise, but. . .

Today I am thankful for:


-having sweat through long hot summers to grow a garden
-having a freezer and pantry full of goodness
-not having to run to the store to a healthy meal for us
-having the space, tools, and seeds to plant a garden
-having hens and a place to house them
-having a wonderful husband who supports my lifestyle
-having a wonderful husband who takes care of me and the kids
-having a crockpot for an easy dinner when I am sick
-for books to learn from
-for pen and pencil to write with
-the ability to do handiwork and for the sales I've made
-for surprise mail, and snail mail
-a supply of fire wood and a woodstove
-a working truck, to haul the wood
-kids who are willing to help when needed
-a daughter who drives, and can run errands and fetch her sister at musical practice
-a daughter who can help her Uncle babysit when needed
-a husband who lets his wife sleep in when she needs it
-a husband who came home after working 8 hours and washed all the dishes
-for the Lord's love


I could keep going today, but it felt good to stop for a minute and say thanks.  And a thank you to all my blog followers too.

I am feeling a teensy bit better.  I wanted to sleep in today so badly, but I was quickly reminded by the ping of my phone that one needed to get on the bus and the other needed me to make sure she was up to drive to the "bid city" and help my younger brother out.  He was in a bit of a bind, and needed a sitter.  She's up and getting ready to go watch his two bundles of cute-ness.  Mom is feeling so-so, just not up to babysitting quite yet.

It's another "take it easy" sort of day for me.  One thing is for sure.  I won't need to make a dinner.  We have a ton of soup leftover, and it is much needed to build our immunity back up.  There won't be dirty dishes either. 

I even got the fire going without lighting a match this morning.  I had one small coal left and with a my wonderful barn wood kindling, it started right back up.

There are more friends of the family helping our nephew's family now.  One is selling baked goods to help raise money.  we have such a tight group of love.

I'm going to get off my "procrastination station" and get my bed sheets washed.  I don't feel up to it, and if I put it off, it won't be happening.  And even though I washed and spider proofed my spare set, I am too chicken to use them, ha ha!



Comments

mamasmercantile said…
Such an uplifting post, I am now going to make a list like you I have a lot to be thankful for, I just need to be reminded sometimes. Glad to hear you are feeling a little better.
Mama Pea said…
So good for us to take the time to either make a gratitude post like yours or simply write down several things for which we're grateful in a notebook. It seems to be always the unpleasant things, the tasks not done, the wants and wishes that can't be fulfilled that take priority in our minds way too often. To consciously think about all the good and wonderful things we have in our lives and appreciate them is a good thing to do. Thanks for the reminder, Kristina!
mamasmercantile, I'm glad I inspired you today.
Mama Pea, you are welcome. Some days I need to be reminded too.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart