Skip to main content

The Good ~ The Bad

The Good:  we are still being provided with frozen, mashed garden grown sweet potatoes (and they taste great when reheated).  

The Bad:  I didn't can applesauce this past fall.  Organic apples are too expensive yet, and our trees have not produced.




The Good:  We have a good supply of wood

The Bad:  We had to cut and split it in freezing weather





The Good:  My biscuits are perfect using organic all purpose flour.

The Bad:  My biscuits do not turn out tall and flacky using Einkorn all purpose flour (sad face). They don't rise, and they are not flaky (heavy and dense).  Note: However, these would be good for under a meat gravy torn up or whole.  Or a side bread for soup. They are delicious, so it's not a completely "bad" thing, ha ha!


The Good:  I got all my baby blanket granny squares finished.



The Bad:  I need to sew 12 panels of 16 squares each, then sew the panels together, before I can completely finish the blanket.  It may be a bit longer for this project.



The Bad:  My computer is now called the "Procrastination Station"

The Good:  I'm still getting my exercise done, even so.

Comments

Mama Pea said…
Love this "good/bad" post. I think we could all write one like this frequently! And maybe I will!! ;o)
Rain said…
The good outweighs the bad overall!! But that will be a lot of sewing, I'm assuming by hand?
Mama Pea, it helps me keep balanced, ha ha!
Rain, the blanket has been on the "on-going" project list for 7 1/2 years now, ha ha!
mamasmercantile said…
I loved the concept of this post the good/bad. I don't mind sewing the squares together its sewing in all the ends I dislike. Glad you now have plenty of wood.
mamasmercantile, you are right about sewing in the ends. I did it on each square as I finished them, so I would not be dreading it in the end.
Wow, look at the rise on the organic flour biscuits! Happy you were still able to enjoy the other biscuits too.

Loving the baby blanket. The colors are lovely. Looking forward to seeing it after the tedious part of sewing it all together. I will be so worth it!
Sam I Am...... said…
Cute post! YOu forgot the "ugly" part! LOL! Love your baby blanket!
Sam I Am, that's funny! I should have added the "ugly"

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart