Skip to main content

Random Tidbits


It's been nice to be back in the kitchen baking breads.  First on the agenda - biscuits.  I'm playing around with different size cutters, to obtain just the right size for a breakfast sandwich.  Oh we slobbered over our recent sandwich with farm fresh eggs, cheese, and organic bacon.  Yum.


I use my 2 inch cutter when the biscuits are for sausage gravy or hamburger gravy.



~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~


Hubby came home one day this week, went straight to the fridge, and asked, "hey where is that pickled garlic?"

He popped one right into his mouth and said, "every one at work is sick."

I've eaten the garlic from the jar too.  No stomach issues, but your mouth will be warm for hours, ha ha!



~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~



Pop Test #1.  All but 3 kernels popped.  It'll dry a bit longer on the cobs, but oh boy did it taste good.  I would like to double what we plant this gardening season.


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want a good night's sleep, get a diffuser.  You place a specific amount of water with a combination of essential oils in it.  Oh my.  When I turn ours on (which I got free), I can barely get out of bed.  So if you want to sleep in, this is the way to do it.   Or to keep from waking up all night.  Golly, our best combination is Thieves, Rosemary and Eucalyptus oil. Note:  if you have cats, do not do this. An herbalist told me this, and when I did difuse on the woodstove top (prior to this knowledge), the hair on one of our cats fell out.  It can make them sick or die.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

Hubby has been lucky to get a few nights of overtime, which we need, but we are still down to 2 vehicles.  We have the part for daughter's car (which she bought herself, as she is learning responsibliity for her independence), but we need a warm day to install it.  I may be repeating myself here, so if I am just ignore.


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

Hubby got more overtime last night and this morning.  Firewood hauling is my job.  Thank goodness for the sled.  It's cold here again.  Brr!






Comments

Liz said…
Somewhere I came across a sugar cookie cutter that is just the right size for bigger biscuits.
The deer (once again) got into our popcorn field! I sure would like to see how those sneaks do it!
Cold here again today. 0 F. when the hubby left for work.
Liz, I think a wild turkey got into my popcorn last year. I will have to fence it this year I think. Darn critters.
M.E. Masterson said…
Biscuits and vravy sounds great!! When is next meal??
Mama Pea said…
I've never tried to grow popcorn, but then I have very little luck growing regular corn either so . . . :o(

Your biscuits look so good. You may have given me just the kick in the pants I need to get back into bread baking! However, there is a young fella near us who has started baking sourdough breads in an outdoor oven he has access to. And, oh my, are the breads good. Sourdough is so good for us, but I've not gotten the urge to make a starter and keep it going. Yet. But we are buying his breads.
Mama Pea, our popcorn harvest was not as good as I wanted it to be, but we still got some. Sourdough is the next bread for me to venture in to making. I have just put it off, making the starter.
M.E. Materson, I have me meat eating daughter living at home, and she devours it at breakfast and dinner, ha ha! (biscuits and any sort of meat gravy - sausage or ground beef).
mamasmercantile said…
Biscuits and gravy would go down a treat right now, yum!
mamasmercantile, we love biscuits and gravy. Yum.
Sam I Am...... said…
The popcorn sounds wonderful! I hope your husband doesn't get sick as they say this flu is bad and that's even if you got a flu shot! I need to make biscuits and freeze like Pillsbury does so I can just take as many out as I need for myself. Have you tried that? Do you freeze yours as dough or bake them first? Biscuits and gravy sound really good about now! Lucky you with a snowstorm coming!
Sam I Am, I have not frozen my biscuit dough, but I do want to carve out time to freeze pizza dough.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart