Skip to main content

This and That ~ Randomness

Someone, I'm not saying who, forgot to stoke the fire last night.  I got the chance to clean the ashes and restart it early this morning.  It's not too bad out - high of 50°F today with some rain in the late morning.  Lows are down to 20's.  Forecasts have predicted possible snow, but so far zero.  Towels dried great outside yesterday.  I wanted to get a dose of sunshine, and those stinkin' hunters were out back all day long.  Grr.  Either they have really bad aim, or they are shooting several herds of deer.  I'm guessing bad aim.

We are warned by the news about deer disease again.  It was a problem last year too.  I'm not sure I'd want to be eating one around here.




My jar of calendula oil and four thieves vinegar were ready to be strained.  Now I can use both.   Actually, I'm the first to try the vinegar.  I have a slight sore throat, and slightly swollen lymph nodes.  Two Tbsp. already went down the hatch.  It tastes like garlic.  I'll also be drinking hot ginger tea this afternoon.

I also got my chickweed tincture property bottled (amber bottle with a dropper) and labeled.

I need two more oils made, but those are going on the "after the craft show" to-do list.




Boot cuffs are getting made now.  I have two styles (two colors) so far, but I'm collecting free patterns for next year's Farmer's Market and winter shows.

I got my "door prize" finished for the craft show as well.  Red mug, with red/white and blue cozy and coaster.  One lucky person will receive this.  Each vendor is asked to donate one at a value of $15.00. 

I'm still plugging away at the 4th scarf.  I have been crocheting like a mad woman and forgot to thaw the fish, soak my beans, and a few other things yesterday.  I had to put it down, back away from it (ha ha!) and get some things done.  

I literally, have so much I can be doing, that I wrote out a list and it's called the "After Craft Show" to-do list.  I'm not joking.  I need to get the scarf finished, and a few more things to be ready for Saturday, then after that, I can jump back on the to-do list. Not to mention, start another scarf for our youngest daughter's birthday next month.


Comments

Betsy said…
I so enjoyed visiting your blog today. There was so much great information here. I use thieves oil when my lymph glands in my neck swell, but I’ve never made my own. Love the boot cuff and mug cozy. Where is the craft show you participate in? I’ve often thought I should check into doing that. Thanks for coming to my blog too. I hope to get to know you better.
Blessings,
Betsy
Thanks Betsy, the craft show is in a nearby town where I live at a Veteran's Building. I just happened to find out about it from a friend. They are a lot of fun, but I don't do very many due to time constraints. I am trying the thieves vinegar for the first time today. I also put tea tree oil and a carrier oil on the bottoms of my feet when this happens, and gargle with salt water too.
RB said…
Such a blessing to see you getting so many beautiful useful projects done.
Regarding crafts and sewing, I haven't done a darn thing this year. Maybe next year.
Prayers everyone's having a great week, and a safe one too.
God bless.
RB
<><
Leigh said…
Gol-lee you've reminded me that I have some herbal oils to strain. I've only heard of the 4 thieves in conjunction with essential oils, so I figured it was proprietary. Do you have a recipe for it? Sorry to hear about your sore throat, but you're taking care of it similar to how I would! Sounds like you're too busy to not feel well, especially with the show coming up. I hope you do well!
Leigh, the recipe I used is a Rosemary Gladstar recipe from her "beginner" book of recipe. There is also one online with Mountain Rose Herbs too. I told Hubby last night, I need to stop making stuff. I keep saying I need more, but I really don't. Ha ha!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart