Skip to main content

Slowing Down

Things were much slower yesterday.  I was thankful for that.

Jasper has found a new toy to play with, ha ha!  He loves boxes.  I caught him trying to dig into the Christmas tree box too.  Silly cat.

It's been too wet to work in the garden.  We had a lot of rain dumped on us, and with it cold, it's not drying up.  The wind has died down too.


I have however, removed nails from some of the barn wood.  We are at least reducing our piles out there (ever so slowly).

The homemade hot chocolate jar was restocked and ready for winter.  The girls are happy.  They enjoy a cup after school, and after work.


Comments

Louise Houghton said…
My boys love a hot chocolate with squirty cream, little marshmallows and sometimes a flake.
Sam I Am...... said…
It's cold here too and damp. I was just thinking of hot cocoa yesterday!
Vicki said…
Slowing down is sometimes a good thing. I dislike winter but thoroughly enjoy January through until spring. Seems like that time is spent doing what makes me happy and is devoid of the heavy work. Thanks for the reminder to fill my hot chocolate jar - my go-to winter evening treat. :)
Rain said…
It's a little slow around here too. I'm catching up on housecleaning and cooking and recipe planning. A good cup of hot cocoa is so comforting this time of year. We drop a little rye in our cups if we have them before bed, the flavours are really delicious!
Susan said…
We finally got a touch of snow and I was so happy! Not that I have everything ready, but it means that I can slow down soon!!
Louise, I like to put mint in mine. Mmmm!
Sam I Am, great minds think alike, ha ha!
Vicki, you are welcome. The girls reminded me it needed refilled.
Rain, I never thought to mix it with Rye. Interesting.
Susan, I swear I heard it raining in the night, we just go so much. Blech. I don't have all the garden out, but we are ahead more than last year.
Mama Pea said…
I'm not a hot chocolate lover, but my husband makes up for both of us!

I have all the outside "garden stuff" done, but I'm still waiting for things to slow down. We were offered about 3 cords of birch wood still in tree lengths for free so we've been cutting that up and bringing it home on our flatbed trailer. It's deer hunting season here and the son of our good neighbors shot one early this morning but, sadly, it got up and rain into the heavy woods. There were 7 of us who spent several hours hiking in the woods today trying to locate it to no avail. The hunter, especially, is very upset. Not because he didn't "get his deer" but because he's super-conscientious and didn't want to cause any suffering the deer might have gone through.

Tomorrow it's (unexpected) company for lunch, and then we hope to get back out to collect more of the wood in the afternoon.
Mama Pea, that's great you are getting that wood. And you are able to have time to cut it up too. And trailer it. Too bad on the deer.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart