Skip to main content

Last Bottle of Homemade Pear Wine

The last pear wine update was posted here (November 9, 2016).  We had some wonderful taste tests, and eventually bottled it.  However, the bottles with corks popped some tops, and turned pink.  

We didn't have enough bottles with screw caps, so much went bad.  However, to our delight, we kept one screw cap bottle.  

We popped it open last night.  It was very good, but too much carbonation in it.  More like a high alcohol champagne, ha ha!



We are so excited that we've learned so much already, and next time we will have another carboy and we'll let it sit longer with the bubble airlock on it.  

We were so happy to enjoy that one single bottle, and now we are prepared to do any fruit wine.  Peach, cherry, any berry, grape, plum, apple....I may need more fruit trees, ha ha!

We now have a supply of empty screw cap wine bottles too (thanks to my wine drinking friends and family).  Many wine companies and changing over to screw tops due to the cost of corks.  

I thought you'd enjoy this update, as we travel through our homesteading and self sufficiency adventures.  I'm not sure what's on the schedule today yet.  It all depends on the weather.

Last night I had to put a buff orpington in the emergency coop.  She's loosing many feathers from molting and the other hens are pecking at her backside.  I have one chicken saddle, but they hate to wear it.  And the other hens will attack who ever is wearing it, so hence we just separated her until she's got her feathers back.

In preparation for the upcoming craft sale, I finished another slouchy hat, another mug/cozy/coaster set, sewed in the ends of other projects, and have 3 completed double wrap infinity scarves (with another in the making).  If I have time, I may whip up a few ornaments.

Comments

Susan said…
Busy as usual! With the success of your pear wine, you and Hubby will be ready to take on anything. I would like to make some hard cider next year - this year, I haven't even made my sauerkraut - I'm late!
Susan, I haven't canned applesauce. The price of organic apples here are horrible. I hope they go on sale soon. Our trees have produced just yet.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart