Skip to main content

Barn Clean Up

It's been hectic around the homestead.  Morning is crazy - feed dogs, feed cats, feed barn cats, dogs in, dogs out, dogs in, dogs out.....chickens out, dogs in, dogs out....chickens back in...

I'm on dog duty until Daughter is feeling up to it again.  She is still recovering from the removal of her wisdom teeth.  She took care of me while I was sick, and now I'm taking care of her.  I am using my ice chipper to grind up ice for her.  She is still very sore around her jaw. 

Unfortunately, she has inherited something I inherited from my mother - can't handle pain meds (nausea).  I had to call the dentist.  They told me to take her off the pain meds and the ibuprofen and put her strictly on Tylenol.  She is not getting sick any more thankfully.


Weekend work resumed, although we were invited to ride to IN for the day, we opted to work.  While the guys worked on the barn, I weeded the herb garden and Youngest did the mowing.  I was super happy to find mullein growing in one of my flower beds.  It's safely transplanted into the last pot I had available.  There is hope to have a large harvest of it soon again.


Deep cleaning continues as well - washed down the outside of the stove, top, under knobs, dishwasher, more cabinets, etc.  I also took everything off the bathroom door hooks, washed down the door, and washed our winter bathrobes.  It was just in time for nice clean robes to take dogs out at the crack of dawn. It's been chilly early morning again.
 
And for a different cleaning story. . .

. . . update on the barn clean up.


We got home insurance quotes from other sources.  This entire barn project is a result of our current insurance raking us until our last penny has fallen out of our wallet (letter stating we had to "fix" the barn and update them, not once, but twice).  Hence the stretched meals and cut backs.  They raised our house payment by $200/month and our taxes thus went up etc.  We didn't expect this hike with no extra income.

We found much lower quotes, but here is the kicker.  

The downed barn must be gone in 30 days once we start up the new insurance. 


We have gotten rid of most of the old roofing, and some of the beams.   We had a large pile left.



(this pile was already re-homed)

 Barn siding was dug out for the folks who got the barn torn down, and we got out the chainsaw.  They guys nicely organized usable wood from wood to burn. 

Menu for Saturday, of the Clean Up Weekend: 

I whipped up a new potato recipe, in hopes it would taste good.  I used our homegrown potatoes, two dinky homegrown green peppers, our farm fresh eggs (boiled) and other organic ingredients including bacon.

My homemade sloppy joes

 I also whipped up a batch of zucchini muffins with our garden zucchini, freshly cracked walnuts, and non-gmo mini chocolate chips. 

Menu for Sunday?

No menu .  More work
 The start of our work this morning....

More wood is being re-homed and I'll have more photos as it disappears.  And guess what?  We may have found the perfect (or next to perfect) place to build the greenhouse now.  Hubby's idea too.  I'll have more photos soon.  Barn clean up is a lot of hard work, and we are both stinkin' tired, and sore.

Comments

Mama Pea said…
Most of us can well imagine what a HUGE project that barn take-down and now clean-up has been for you. Heck, I'm in the midst of just my garden clean-up and that's making me stiff and sore! But as you've already suggested (greenhouse!), having it all done will enable you to move on to greater things on your homestead. That's gotta be invigorating!
Mama Pea, we are both so sore now, and we have just started. He is pretty excited to get it all gone now.
Sam I Am...... said…
Thank goodness it's a once in a lifetime job! I hope you recover soon and get it all done before the snow flies! Take a nice hot bath! The food looks yummy!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart