Skip to main content

Pears ~ Carrot Cake Jam


Pears are about ready to be picked.  Hubby brought in 5 or 6 and some were hard as a rock, so we have time yet to pick them.  Thank goodness.


Two of them were ripe however, so I used one to can carrot cake jam for the first time.  Using our homegrown carrots, a home grown pear, and a few purchased ingredients.  I used this recipe:  Carrot Cake Jam.

It uses the same amount of sugar that most recipes online require, but a mix of white granulated and brown sugar.  I have wanted to try this recipe for years, but put it off.  We didn't get any carrots last year either.  I can't remember why, but we didn't get beets or carrots.  

Anyway....


The jam was made and we tasted it last night.  Oh my!  We tried it on a cracker with cream cheese.  It tastes just like carrot cake.  YUM!!


The first dig of carrots brought in just shy of 10#.  Most went into the freezer.  To freeze, I peel, slice and place into this metal basket (a recycled deep fryer type basket).  I bring a pot of water to boil, lower the metal basket of veggies into the hot water for 2 minutes.  I then remove, and lower the basket (you can simply drop the carrots into the hot water and scoop out with a strainer too) into a large bowl of water and ice for 2 minutes.  I drain them, and freeze them.  

 I used 2 cups shredded for the jam.  There are a few small stragglers that are in the fridge for snacking and whatnot.  I'm so glad I didn't dig the entire row in one day (exhausted from this dig alone).

Until the next dig...

Comments

Rain said…
The jam looks great! It must feel good to have all those carrots done and stocked up for the winter!
Rain, all that work exhausted me, and I have to dig more up by the weekend. I'm very thankful for such a harvest too. I'm using carrots in our dinner tonight as well. The jam is out of this world delicious!
Susan said…
How I envy your carrot crop. I did not even try to plant them this year. After six years of no crop, I know when I'm beaten. That jam looks delicious!
mamasmercantile said…
The jam looks amazing, not a recipe I have come across before I must give it a go. An amazing carrot harvest.
Thanks Susan. I was hesitant to plant this year, after getting zero last year. They are difficult to work with, due to the range of shapes they grew, but I'm tickled on how many we got. I have more to dig yet.
Thanks mamasmercantile. The jam is amazing. Sweet and delicious.
Saundra said…
The jam looks sooo good. I'm going to give it a go. Thank you for sharing this with all of us. Sandy
Saundra, you are welcome. I found several online but a fellow blogger shared this one, and it turned out great.
Sam I Am...... said…
The jam sounds wonderful and thank you for the tips on prepping for freezing....your method is so much easier...I would stand there and fish them out which takes so long! Duh!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart