Skip to main content

Holiday Menu Planning ~ Sweet Potato Pie

The "bug" to try new recipes, for the up coming holidays, has hit me again.  I needed to rotate out some pie crust crumbles anyway.

Thursday:  I had time to do something, and scrubbing the master bath toilet was not looking like the time filler for me. Although it does need done.

 Dinner prep was already done (salmon patties) and homemade sausage was already mixed and in the fridge.

It was too hot to go outside to work.  It was too hot and humid to sit on the porch with my feet up too.


(just out of the oven and cooling)

I have wanted to taste a sweet potato pie for years, and it was time.  

I didn't even use the recipe that started the whole want-to-try-it mojo.  Original recipe was in my stack of hoarded recipes (much smaller than ever before however) made 2 pies.  I didn't want 2.


You could say it was a "file to pile" recipe, in a sort of round about way.  I will bake another one, tweaking the recipe just a hair I think.

The results?  It's delicious!  A perfect pie for a "lighter" dessert.  It was on the "fluffy" side while still warm, but after putting it in the refrigerator, it thickened like pumpkin pie.

My picky vegetarian, who hates sweet potatoes, loved it!

Friday, more garlic got planted, bills were paid (and the new ones are now rolling in), and the very last of the beets were boiled and put into the freezer.  There wasn't much time left to beat the heat, so I worked indoors most of the afternoon.



Comments

Henny Penny said…
Oh, the pie looks delicious! I have a basket of sweet potatoes that need to be used. A sweet potato pie does sound good. Thank you!
Yarrow said…
The sweet potatoe pie looks lovely. I might have to try it :D
Henny Penny, I used a recipe from allrecipes online, but adjusted a few ingredients.
Yarrow, I will try and get the ingredients posted soon.
Sam I Am...... said…
I can't remember if I have ever made or eaten sweet potato pie or not. I love sweet potatoes so I'm sure I would. Yours looks very good. I tis hot here too. I go out early ans water. I'm trying to work on finances every day doing something....organizing or budgeting or reading about finances....it can be my achilles tendon....that and cleaning! LOL!
Sam I Am, finances and cleaning are those mundane and not so fun tasks we must do, but we do them right? The pie was delicious.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart