Skip to main content

Burdock Herbal Oil ~ Eating My Weeds

I've been borrowing many books on herbs from the library and getting new bits of info.

Somewhere in the mix of research, I came upon the uses of burdock oil.  

I have burdock all over, so I decided to make the oil.  One case they said to put the oil and root in a dark room for so many weeks.  Another said to water bath it gently.   So, I went to my herbal books from the homesteading bookshelf and took another look on making oils.  In the past I have made them in a sunny window (calendula, chive).

I decided on making my hair oil using both burdock root,



and nettle.  I allowed the burdock root to dry for 12 hours (or overnight), because I just dug it up.  The nettle has been dried.

It will be a few weeks before I can strain this oil and try it.  Burdock has properties that help hair growth by strengthening it via the scalp when applied.  I decided to add some calendula as well.

Also, I wanted to try cooking the leaves and stalks, so I did a bit of digging for recipes.  I got so many different ones too.  Although I think stinging nettle has more nourishment.  Like I tell my kids - a rotation of all the greens is good for the body.



Comments

Sam I Am...... said…
You are becoming so knowledgeable about these 'greens'. You should give seminars! Are dandelion greens okay if the flower has bloomed already or gone to seed? I thought I read somewhere that you had to harvest the greens before they produced a flower. If that is true, unfortunately, that's when I notice them!
Sam I Am, I haven't read that, but it makes sense. I have gotten them before and after they flower. Interesting.
RB said…
The burdock root looks a bit like a big shrimp.
This is all very interesting. It will be good to hear what benefits you've gotten from it.
Can the roots of any of the greens you cook and eat be cooked and eaten too? And if so, are the benefits they have different from the benefits the greens have?
Right now I have flowers on the parsley I planted last year. I generally wait until they yellow, then cut and dry them in a paper bag and plant them. This year I made the mistake of tasting a flower, and it tastes wonderful, so I'm having to hold myself back from eating them all so I have some seeds left to plant. But they'd be great in salads, vinaigrette and added to vegies that you'd usually add parsley leaves to, though you'd have to pick the flowers from even the tiniest of stems, because the stems are tough.
Our maternal grandmother used dill flowers in her soups and pickles, and they were a bit stronger and far tastier than the fronds are - and prettier too.
God bless.
RB
<><
RB, I am still learning about the roots of these greens. Some most likely cannot be eaten, but again I'm still reading up on them. You reminded me to go check my dill. It comes back every year, along with my sage, so I hope I won't have to re-plant either.
Beansieleigh said…
Hi Kristina!.. I am wondering what kind of oil you used? Plain old vegetable oil?.. Almond oil or grapeseed oil?? ~tina (oh, and I'm wondering the difference between nettle and "stinging nettle"??? IS there a difference, or is it all the same?
Beansieleigh, I used organic olive oil. You might get good results with grapeseed and almond as well. Nettle is just a short name for Stinging nettle. I dehydrate it, then store it in a canning jar until I want tea or to infuse oil. Once nettle is dry, it no longer has the "sting" it has fresh. I use really thick gloves when cutting it. You can also order these herbs from Mountain Rose herbs. I lightly rub the oil in my hands and then lightly into my hair.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart