Skip to main content

Einkorn Flour Tortillas

In the past, I have made homemade tortillas using white organic flour.  

First, I made flour tortillas with organic/non-gmo canola oil.  You can read about it here.

Downside of making them with the canola?  You use a lot more oil than in the einkorn tortillas I'm about to tell you about, and the smell of the oil stinks up the kitchen.

Second, I made them with real lard.  You can read that post here.  

A huge bonus in making these?  You make them on a griddle, and they use no oil on the griddle itself.  Just the lard in the tortilla.  Very easy to make and less mess (and no smell).






Third, I made a batch of tortillas using the all-purpose einkorn wheat flour and organic non-gmo olive oil (I guess you can use coconut oil too).  The recipe is in the book shown above.




The dough was super easy to handle.  I first used my pastry cloth to roll the dough into 12 balls.  Then, I rolled each ball out on parchment paper, which made it much easier to remove and place into the pan.  




The bonus here is the nutrition of the flour, the fact you make them in your cast iron pan, and you don't have to add any more oil than in the beginning (I just wiped a good coating of olive oil before heating the pan).  The only downside, is making them one at a time if you only have one cast iron skillet.  I have two cast iron pans, but didn't want to dirty another pan.  These bake up rather quickly in the pan anyway.  I have to say, this is my favorite (next to using lard) way to make tortillas. 



Comments

Mama Pea said…
I was curious to see if the tortillas made with all einkorn weren't too "fragile" to handle as you fried/baked them . . . and it looks like they were just fine! The one problem I have in making my pie crusts with einkorn flour is that it's a smidge on the difficult side to handle when getting it from pastry cloth to pie plate. Mine tends to and tear because of the texture of the crust which is very tender.
Rain said…
Those look really good, I've always wanted to make my own tortillas, we eat Mexican themed dinners a lot. And I LOVE that they don't stink up the house! That canola oil, eek...I only use olive oil these days when I cook because when we used to use other oils, we could even smell it in our hair sometimes! I'll have to keep an eye out for a cast iron skillet during the garage sale season. I don't have one and I think it would be a great addition to my kitchen.
Mama Pea, you are right. If I rolled them out on the pastry cloth, I would have had trouble. With using parchment paper, I could pick up the paper, dough stuck to it, slowly peel it off and gently place it into the pan. They were very good too. I plan on ordering more flour, and trying to freeze some.
Rain, I love my cast iron skillets. I use the smaller one to bake frittatas and millet skillets and other dishes in. I start on the stove, and then into the oven it goes.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart