Skip to main content

Einkorn Flour ~ Baking and English Muffins

Upon learning from a few blogger friends about einkorn flour, and the health benefits (and less gluten), I had to try some.

I first checked the library system for the recipe book, but could only borrow this one:



I wasn't able to borrow the other cookbook einkorn has.  In fact, there was only one copy of this particular book to borrow from our inter-loan system (from other area libraries).




 I ordered the all-purpose and the whole grain flour to try.



First, I used the all-purpose flour to make the jam fruit bars.  They tasted great!  I swapped the all-purpose white flour for the einkorn all-purpose wheat flour.  I also used it with fruit breads and cakes.  It worked great for those types of baking.


Next, I tried substituting the wheat flour in my English muffin recipe, using the all-purpose einkorn wheat variety. You can get the recipe I use here.




The dough was sticky and lighter, and difficult to work.  They did wonderful at rising, but when I went to put them into the pan, some deflated and didn't hold their shape.  I few turned out a bit too thin. However, they tasted great and a bit less dense. Overall, they looked good and tasted good.
 


Next, I made the English muffins using the whole grain variety flour (for the wheat flour).  My recipe requires 1 1/4 organic bread flour and 1 cup wheat.   

I found this dough even stickier than the last.  It more difficult to manage, required me to oil my hands and flour the surface while kneading it.  This required more flour than the last experimental muffins.

The second rise did not do so well, and again wanted to deflate as soon as I moved them to the pan.  I had to touch them as little as possible, and move then very gently.


This second batch turned out thinner.  After slicing some in half, there wasn't much left of them for a sandwich or for toasting.  Only one in the batch was thick enough to call it an English muffin.  Overall, I wouldn't make them with this amount of whole grain.  I may try this again using 1/2 cup of the whole grain and 1/2 all purpose.   Einkorn whole grain is definitely a tricky flour to use with a rising dough recipe.  I would call this batch a "fail."

I have only tried the all-purpose variety in my baked goods so far.  I will be using it to swap out the wheat flour in any upcoming recipes (baking) and I'll be sure to update on that too.


To distinguish the true difference in both flours, I emailed the company.  They answered the same day:


Hello,
Thank you for your email.  Yes Einkorn is wheat.  The whole wheat einkorn is the entire wheat ground to flour.  The all-purpose flour is high extraction flour.  So we mill the flour at 81% removing a portion of the bran and most of the germ giving you ap flour.  The majority of the nutrients are stored in the endosperm of the wheat so are not losing losing the a lot of the nutrients. 

Comments

Mama Pea said…
Your experience with the einkorn flour has been a lot like mine. I've made pie crust using the all purpose einkorn (no other flour) and although it rolls out like a dream and has a very "smooth" consistency, it's also very, very tender and I have to be careful moving it from flat surface to pie pan. Also after baking, it's still very tender and falls apart if not careful. The flavor, though, is excellent. Tastes very "buttery" and not in the least bit tough as some pie crusts can be. All in all, because of the nutritional value over other flours, I think it's worth using.
Mama Pea, the last batch of English muffins did the same thing - fell apart. I'll order some flour to freeze, and as you said, it is worth it for health reasons.
Rain said…
I went vegan for a year back in 2010 to cure my IBS and I only bought the most organic and healthy food for that year. It was expensive but it worked. I tried many different flours back then but I never even heard of Einkorn. I thought I ran the gamut of what flours were available! Your English muffins look very delicious! I want to try making them.
Saundra said…

Dear lovely ladies (Kristina & Mama Pea),
Before you give up on your recipes you might want to try adding some Red Mill Xanthan Gum. I use it to make baked goods that are gluten free. Sandy in
I love, love your blog. I reared 6 kids, 5 sons & 1 daughter, a. blended family. (Mine are now 50 - 59 yrs. old Ack!
Sandy in California
Rain, my family loves the English muffins. I just learned of this flour this year.
Sandy, I just saw that for sale in our grocers organic aisle. Thanks. I'm glad you are enjoying my blog too.
Mama Pea said…
Sandy - Red Mill xanthan gum, eh? Our organic co-op carries Red Mill products so I'm going to check it out next time I'm there. Thank you for the tip!
Sam I Am...... said…
Have not tried it nor have I seen it around here. We're lucky to get any organic at all. Good for you with the English Muffins...the first batch looks professional!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart