Skip to main content

Book ~ Herbal Teas

There have been so many people asking me for tips on teas for bronchitis, coughing, and pneumonia lately.  By accident, I found this book (published in 2016).

I just started reading through this book (like I have the time, ha ha!). I borrowed it from the library.  There are tea recipes for antispasmodic bronchitis, cough, and more.  It's worth a look for those who make teas, tinctures, syrups etc.  I learned plantain can be used as an expectorant.
  

In researching tea recipes online, I found this site here helpful about plantain.   There are recipes for teas, infusions etc. there as well.  Simply plantain and thyme for a tea?  I had no idea.  I'm so glad I am continuing this herbal journey of mine. 

I tasted my first cup of plantain/thyme tea.   I dried plantain, and froze some blanched plantain last summer.  I've made many salves with herbs, testing them out.  This summer I would like to add plantain salve to my first aid supplies.  I read that it's good for poison ivy as well as bug bites, cuts, etc.  There is no shortage of plantain here.

Tonight, I'll be making herbal tea for Hubby (or mullein).  He's feeling a bit under the weather.  We spent most of the weekend at the gun range, and I think he (for once) didn't get the rest he needed.

If you have made a plantain salve, and really like it, I'd love to hear about it and get the recipe.  I have one recipe saved to try.   

Comments

Sam I Am...... said…
I thought plantains were a type of banana? Obviously not as I'm sure you can't grow bananas where you live. Not sure what I've been 'smokin'? LOL! The mullein is back in my yard!
Sam I Am, you are correct. Lol! Sorry, I meant the weed that grows everywhere. If you google for images of broad-leaf plantain, you'll see photos of what it looks like. You are lucky to have mullein. So many people here are sick.
Rain said…
You have a great library! I can't even get any English books here, sigh. I love your enthusiasm for herbal remedies, very inspiring! Hope you all feel better soon!
Rain, after that episode with the zpack antibiotic, I am really trying to keep us healthy, and use natural remedies.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart