Skip to main content

Swiss Chard Frittata and Fresh Herbs


I decided to whip up a swiss chard frittata, since I was already blanching some to freeze.  It was my lunch, and Hubby's breakfast for the next day.  It was kind of an "end of the season" and "just toss it in" kind of meal.  I read up on chard and it's good for the heart, as well as fresh thyme.  The eggs were topped with fresh chives and thyme.  The recent rain and warmer days are providing fresh herbs.  Mmm, was this tasty.  Did you know thyme helps the body prevent heart attacks, strokes and coronary disease?  I didn't.  Until I read up on it.

However,
it took until noon to prep the chard for the freezer, and make the frittata.....and


...clean off one table.  The dried zinnia seeds have finally left the kitchen too.  Any bets on how long the kids will destroy my cleaning job?

Comments

Kim said…
Thanks for the knowledge on thyme. I will have to start working it into my foods a bit more. I keep waiting on the first frost for my kale to sweeten up, but I think it might be christmas before that happens. But thats okay, we eat it anyway and until the killing freeze it will stand strong. Then it will come back in the spring and give us another round before time to plant.
Susan said…
That frittata looks wonderful! My chard did not flourish this year, but I have a bumper crop of kale. I love that tablecloth! Isn't it amazing how quickly surfaces get covered?
Kim, my kale isn't doing well this year. Some sort of bug is eating it down.
Thanks Susan, I love using antique tablecloths in my kitchen. As soon as the garden slows down, the cloths come out of the drawer.
Mama Pea said…
Your frittata looks so good . . . and so much better than our breakfast this morning. I sauteed some red cabbage in bacon grease, then added eggs, scrambled it all together. The eggs turned absolutely green! Green eggs and ham? Nope, green eggs and cabbage. ;o}
Mama Pea, I brought in a small head of cabbage, and was wondering what to do with it. Breakfast is a good idea. I may boil it with some potatoes for dinner too.
RB said…
I LOVE frittatas. I generally put a few pieces of shredded bread in mine too along with the other odds and ends. It's something I learned when bread was cheap and eggs were expensive. LOL Now not enough bread so it's like a bread pudding, just a little, maybe one piece worth" shredded to the size of one's thumb. Yum!!!
It's chilly down here today. We got all the tropical plants in the house. The extra room looks like a jungle, but it's all safe in there anyway.
I hope everyone's having a great weekend, and a safe one too.
God bless.
RB
<><
RB, thanks for that tip using bread.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart