Skip to main content

Random Tidbits


I used a portion of a head of cabbage to make a carrot/cabbage/potato frittata (loaded with fresh chives).  I found 4 pea pods while gutting the garden, so not to waste them, they went in too.





I froze more turnip greens, dandelions, and some collards. 

I got all the jars on my counter tops labeled and shoved into any cupboard I could.  



Snipped up a container of chives and green onions - taking advantage while the herb garden still provides. 


Hubby and I have been successful at getting up early for the gym, and we've seen a few beautiful sunrises as well.

Baking bread continues again, but I still need to get some bags to start freezing buns for winter.

I have found Dallas right where he's supposed to be lately.  The castle is a bit taller today.  

Although, he got out later.  Again.  Somehow the Houdini sailed over that stall.

I woke up with a migraine, and should not even be operating the computer, let alone the coffee pot.  I'll have to take it easier today.  Maybe just freeze some greens and clean up my mess from yesterday.  Oh, maybe I should go to the store for toilet paper.  We went there last night, and this morning realized we didn't even get the toilet paper.  Ha!  It made both of us laugh.  

Comments

Mama Pea said…
Oh, homemade bread! I just put that on my list this morning . . . not that it will get done today, but just to remind me that it's something I want to start on and get loaves stashed away in the freezer! Today it's a big applesauce making day. And probably tomorrow, too. Have a good day, Kristina!
Kim said…
Lol....Dallas might be climbing the stall to get out! Maybe pitch the top inward a bit? Take care of yourself.
RB said…
I hope you're feeling better. Migraines are no fun.
Toilet paper is something I forget too, I think because it's not on the shopping list often.
Had a minor fender bender today. No injuries (thank God), just police and insurance reports. The hassle begins. sigh
Hope everyone's having a super week, and a safe one too.
God bless.
RB
<><
Mama Pea, ha! I just made one batch of applesauce too.
Kim, he stayed in all day yesterday, so maybe the work it takes to get out is getting to him. Let's hope.
RB, sorry to hear of your fender bender. I hope all the paperwork and repairs go quickly and inexpensively. My migraine slowly went away, but I'm thankful it did. Some unexpected stress is the cause.
RB said…
The inside slats of his pen does look like a ladder.
LOL
God bless.
RB
<><
Rb, I told Daughter that too.
RB said…
And goats are smart little (big) buggers too.
LOL
God bless.
RB
<><

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart