Skip to main content

Apple Time

We lack orchards that do not spray in our area.  The only way I'll get organic apples, is to wait for my trees to produce or buy gala organic apples from the grocer (and hope they are really organic).

I've been happy with the taste of my homemade applesauce, using gala, even though other types are suggested more often.
 


Twelve pounds gave me 8 pints of applesauce.  No sugar added, nor needed.  Mmm.  Cost?  $20.86  for the apples, making each pint about $2.60 each.  Not bad considering I have to pay top dollar.  I'm waiting for them to go on sale before I buy another 30#.

I had to purchase another box of pint jars to can this.  I hope I have place to store them all, as they are emptied.  Ha!

Although the seeds and cores go into the compost, the skins went to the goats and hens.  Boy were they all happy too.   

Comments

Sandra said…
Our apple trees didn't produce anything worthwhile this year :(
I love having local orchards near by.
Your applesauce looks delicious!
Thanks Sandra, Hubby is having a horrible time at seeing it on the counter and not allowed to open any, ha ha! I best get it in a cupboard.
hoosier girl said…
Our apple trees were hit by a late frost so I had to buy apples this year. The galas I got from the local orchards were my favorite for sauce! No sugar needed.
Mama Pea said…
I'm into applesauce production, too. And feel very, very lucky to have an ample supply of apples from our own trees this year. So far I've canned 11 quarts which is only about a third of the quota I'm aiming for. Hope you find some more that are reasonable and unsprayed!
RB said…
Those apples are beautiful. I love Galas and Fujis. They're about the only apples I buy anymore.
You know I always give the skins, cores and seeds to the hens, and now I'm wondering if that's ok seeing you don't. I hope so.
We got a ton of errands done today. Had to. The fender bender yesterday (no injuries, minor damage - thank God) threw our schedule all off (we only have Thursdays and Friday off together), so we had to do two days worth of errands today. The only thing I forgot was English Muffins, so I'll have to get those tomorrow. I have them with cream cheese and tea for breakfast every morning.
I pray everyone has a great weekend, and a safe one too.
God bless.
RB
<><
hoosier girl, gala is pretty tasty.
Mama Pea, holy batman, 11 quarts? I'll be lucky if I get another 8 pints, ha ha! Then again, I should be canning more than that with this family.
RB, I give the cores to the hens some days, just not in large amounts, due to the apple seeds.
RB said…
I thought seeds were good for the hens. Not apple seeds though?
Good to know.
Wonder why.
God bless.
RB
<><
RB, I've fed them to my hens, but in very small amounts and not often. I was told, in larger amounts they are bad for them.
RB said…
I never knew that. I'll be more careful in the future. Thanks for the info.
I know I've heard they can cause headaches in humans. Not sure why though.
God bless.
RB
<><
RB said…
I found this...
http://www.livestrong.com/article/188977-apple-seed-toxicity/
God bless.
RB
<><
Katmom said…
I luv Gala apples,,, and search out the Organic ones at the market,, not just for us but for our pup who loves apples and bananas...
Costs a bit more,, but our pup (and us ) is worth it! lol!
Oh and btw,,, have you have made apple/pear sauce? I use to make it using equal amounts of apples & pears... YUM!
Katmom, I have made pear butter and apple butter but not a combo. I will have to try the next season we have pears.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart