Skip to main content

Tomato Sauce Leather ~ Tidbits


I just realized, if I run out of pantry and freezer space, I can always utilize my dehydrator.

I can make tomato sauce leather.   You simply spread out he tomato sauce on parchment paper and dehydrate.  This  would come in handy for backpacking trips or camping meals (uses less space to pack food).  You just combine it with equal parts of hot water, and you have tomato sauce again.  Then you can add spices to create pizza sauce, or make other meals using dehydrated ingredients.

The thing with tomatoes, is that you always have something to make with them.
 

I do think I'll whip up some salsa next week though.  If the current tomatoes last that long.  I'm still working on my pie pumpkins, hot peppers, bell peppers, and trying to get my pinto beans all harvested.  I still have red potatoes to dig up too.  Yeah, fall needs to last longer this year.  Wood waits for me to split too.  

Update on Hubby.  He's feeling tired after work.  That darn medication(s) is really taking a toll on him.  I have to keep him filled up with wholesome energy from greens and other means.  In a few weeks we'll see if the doctor can cut it down even more.  

Although tired, Hubby took me on a motorcycle ride last night.  He's one awesome husband.

And the best part of today's post?   The scale moved!  I'm down 29.8 lbs. from May of this year.  So close to 30.  That's a grand total of 40.8 from my heaviest in 2013.  I'm still eating two brazil nuts every day for thyroid help, but have no idea if that is what's making it easier or it's paying more attention to greens in our diet.  I sneak them into everything I can, plus more veggies in breakfast.  Plus, now we are swapping out maple syrup for healthy berry/honey syrup and veggie butters like sweet potato.  I never had a weight issue until after having babies, and it feels so good to be back on track. It just took some research and good wholesome food.

 


Comments

Susan said…
I swear you are a wealth of knowledge! It must be a good feeling - all that garden wealth - even though it's exhausting!
Debby Flowers said…
We dehydrate tomato sauce to take to BWCA with us, when we are out for a week with no ice, no glass allowed either, it's the best way!
RB said…
Good to hear hubby is doing ok. Prayers he starts feeling like he has more energy. Low energy can be a drag.
Congrats on the weight loss too. I have to find some of those Brazil Nuts myself, cause I'm pretty sure my thyroid is off.
And remember my plastic bag/skirt hanger trick with dehydrated products to save pantry space. It takes up a lot less room than jars or cans do.
Prayers you're having a great weekend, and a safe one too.
God bless.
RB
<><
Mama Pea said…
Congratulations on your continued weight loss, Kristina! (Methinks your hubby's recent medical situation may have caused a few pounds melting away. Not the best way to lose weight, but now that it's gone, hooray!)
Debby, it's good to know it is worth making.
Sam I Am...... said…
It must feel like a vacation when the canning and gardening is all done! LOL! You really make use of everything. I have a dehydrator I got at a garage sale but need to research online for directions as it didn't come with any and I've never used one.
Glad hubby is on the mend but meds are hard on you. After they took out my thyroid and put me on artificial thyroid I was never the same...I've never gotten my energy back but it's getting close! Good eating, some Co-Q10 and up and 'at tem' every day has really helped. I pray your husband feels better each day.
Sam I Am, the meds are taking a toll on him for sure. We are working on setting his levels to where the doctor wants them, so he can get off some of them.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart