Skip to main content

Been a bit busy....

We woke up to thick fog Monday morning.  School was delayed 2 hours, then eventually closed.  As I took the dogs out, it started to rain.  Urghhh.  Rain.  Like we need anymore. 


 Tuesday the fog was bad again - another school delay.
 

However, some lovely green peppers were stuffed and
stocked up in the freezer.  I'm very happy for this to finally happen.  And of course I used my homemade Italian seasoning mix, as well as our home canned zucchini salsa.  We had a few for dinner too.  Yummo!  I had exactly 4 of them leftover for the next day, but Hubby loved them so much he ate another before bedtime, and "poof" my son instantly became a meat eater again.  Dang it all.  I was so looking forward to eating one for lunch the next day.

I purchased local meat, which required a drive to another city, and Hubby said he'd buy me 9# of ground beef, if I'd make them again.  Of course we are.  

Hubby had his first doctor appointment, so I made sure I wasn't canning that day as well.  I am learning a lot more about doctors and insurance now.  When I asked about the bad affects of the cholesterol medication, the answers were vague.  

On a good note, his blood pressure medication was cut in half for now.  We hope to eliminate it, as well as others, because his good levels of cholesterol were already better from the last test he had years ago (just by my cooking). And he never had a blood pressure problem before this as well.  And he has no sugar problems either.  She was impressed we eat millet.  Other than that, I know we are on the right track, but will up our fish (mackerel, trout, catfish vs. more cod, salmon etc.)

I also asked if dandelions will interact badly with his medications (as my research stated that it does with some).  She raised her shoulders and pretty much said he can't be eating enough to cause problems, but we eat them 5-6 x week so I'll have to watch his daily health more closely.
  


I'm now reading a book that may change that, but we do want to keep Hubby feeling good.  I don't know anything about this author, and we very well may be eating all the right foods, but I'm reading it.  Just in case I can learn something new. And although my kids thought it was "cheesy" for our age, we took a date night ride on the motorcycle to the library.  We had a lot of fun too.



Swiss chard was blanched and stocked up on.  That entire basket blanched down to fit into a pint freezer bag.  I'll be freezing a lot more I guess.




A few carrots were blanched and into the freezer.  The carrot water was saved to use in place of vegetable broth, and the peelings went to the goats and chickens.


I made a new DIY deodorant as well.  I did not have any of the three essential oils they recommended, but I did have lemon, lemongrass and lavender.  I used a bit of lemongrass and lavender.  I'll be trying out this vs. making it with coconut oil.  The recipe is on Mountain Rose Herbs blog - DIY Liquid Roll-On.  You can also use it as a spray. I used a bit of lemongrass and lavender, but it irritated my skin.  The lemongrass was way too potent.  I dumped it out and made it again with my own calendula infused oil, and lavender oil.  


 


Another double batch of Lemony-Tomato Basil soup was canned.  Luckily, I had 10 pint jars to can it with too.  I am really sick of seeing tomatoes at this point.

There is another 6-7# sitting on the table waiting to go into the freezer.

I finally got more red potatoes dug up.  I only have about 3/4 of one row left to dig up.  I want to get the hens out there.  The bugs are horrible this year.  I've been playing "whackamole" on stink bugs lately. 

Today, I am not canning a thing.  Not one iota of processing anything.  Okay, I might go bring in the last of the spaghetti squash, and a few butternut, but that's all for today.  Hubby has to see the company doctor today, so that's our date ride.  I'll be going with him if the company will give me a pass, if not, the porch and I have a date while I wait. 

    

Comments

Sandra said…
My girls love stuffed peppers, it is on the menu this week :)
Mama Pea said…
Wow, you have been busy! But what's new, huh?

It's just my personal opinion, but I think what you can do for your hubby (food, nutrition, etc.) is better than any pharmaceuticals, so keep it up.

Have you ever tried going without deodorant? That may sound like a funny question, but I stopped using even the "natural, healthy" deodorants many years ago. Then my hubby followed suit. We never have a "problem" which makes me wonder if you avoid ingesting processed foods and put only organically raised foods (mostly grown right here or from trusted sources, do you need a deodorant? Just a thought.
Susan said…
Kids! What do they know about 'cheesy'? I tell you, they will be thanking you left, right, up and down for taking such good care of them. I know it's a lot of hard work, but I do admire your strength and focus.
Katmom said…
Stuffed Bell Peppers!!!! we're coming to your house for dinner! yum!
Sandra, they are so delicious!
Mama Pea, I may try that. Good to know. Yes, I plan on adding more pumpkin, more healthy fish and some other items into our diet and see what happens. Hubby was impressed I had already made his good level rise double with just food.
Thank you Susan, I hope the kids learn something before they all move out. One is already learning, so I hope the rest do.
Katmom, they are really good, and I plan on squeezing more into my freezer.
RB said…
Raining here too, course we have a hurricane nearing our area. We aren't expecting high winds, high tides or storm surge this far in land, but communities are getting beat to pieces at the FL, GA & SC coast, and maybe the NC coast in a day or two.
It seems to be bringing achyness with it too. My hips have been hurting a lot, and they usually don't. Such is life.
Continuing in prayer for all in the paths of storms, to make wise decisions and stay safe.
God bless.
RB
<><

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart