Skip to main content

Well.....




Here is what I've been doing.



 Freezing corn. 
Click here to go to my blogpost with the recipe for:  

I have put up 100 cups so far, and will need to put up more.  I work in batches of 20 cups per pot, due to the amount of pans I need to cool it all in.  I can do about 40 cups a day, and then I run out of pans.  Of course I treat the hens to some cobs, and my new "blondies" ran from them, ha ha!  They have, however, learned that Sparta is in charge and when he makes his call to tell them there is a treat, they come running out of the roost. They eventually figured out that the cobs had some goodies on them.

I'll have to check my corn relish supply and see if I need to restock that now too.  I love to mix some with a bowl of boiled green beans.  It kind of kicks it up a notch in taste, and something different.

I'm also "fall" planting a few things.  I totally forgot to fall plant the beets, so that's next.  Oye.  Where did summer go?  The tree leaves are already turning.  So sad to see summer go so fast. 

Also, yesterday, after watering everything (again) for two hours, I came in to find a message on my phone.  It was Hubby saying he was taking the afternoon off, and to be ready to take an hour motorcycle ride.  I could not say no to playing hookie for a half-day, so we went.  We rode over to where my grandparents used to live (on my Mother's side), drove through town, and ate at local restaurant.  

We also visited a Harley store, which I later found out my Grandpa used to work for (way back in the day).  There is another local eatery that we plan to go back and try as well.  It's the longest motorcycle ride we've taken, and we very much enjoyed it.  I have to say it was fun to disconnect from the world and take a break.  It stirred up lots of memories of Grandma and Grandpa too.  I plan to take my camera next trip and take photos of where their house used to be and what's there now. 

Today, it's back to the grind.    

At night, when I just wanting to go to sleep, I work a few rows on the baby blanket.  Crossing my fingers to get it done, and the energy to do so.



Comments

Susan said…
Thank you for the link to your frozen corn recipe! I am hoping to get a bag of corn this weekend and freeze most of it (will make corn relish, too!) I was also glad to hear you got to get away for a bit of fun!
Kim said…
That corn looks yummy! I will begin planting fall greens, carrots, beet and I may get one more round of cucumbers in.

It is fun to get away from the day to day, but seems if I am gone for an hour, I get 3 hours behind!
Susan, I got 110 cups of corn in the freezer, and I'm considering getting more, so I don't have to do it next season. However, my family can empty the freezer as fast as I fill it up, ha ha! It was fun to take the afternoon off, and I worked like horse the next day.
Kim, I may have to buy garlic and beets if I don't get the fall planting done. My garlic didn't do so well. I got bulbs but not very big this season, and we have not had rain.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart